Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
addict
347 Posts
Heckler owner

and love it. The Heckler takes anything I can dish out from long xc rides to lift access black diamond trails. This bike has really allowed me to step up my riding. Lots of versatility depending on how you want to build it.
Before I hit this thread, I was noticing that there are alot of threads asking "Heckler or______?" Seems to always be enthusiastic responses for the Heckler.
The Chumba is probably a sick ride, too. Good luck in your search

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have never owned a Heckler, but I have always loved them. I just purchased a new frame last week and the Heckler and XCL were both on my short list. I ended up getting a left over 2008 Turner Spot.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a LBS that sells SC bikes and he told me that SC was offering special pricing on all their single pivot bikes for the month of december. He qouted me a price of $830 for a Heckler frame with an RP23 and $1050 for a Heckler frame with a DHX5 Coil. He also had some carzy low prices for fully built Hecklers. If my choice had been purly based on money I would have jumped on the Heckler with a DHX5 coil in a heart beat. But I currently have a high foward single pivot and wanted to try something different.

Back to your choice, I don't think you can go wrong either way

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Tough choice Heckler's been around a long time and you can basickly read what your getting into on the many post about it. Chumba is making a comeback so the review count is way down yet they offer an awesome product and the CS is fantastic. :thumbsup:

If I had to chose between the two today I would go with the XCL. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Descents handling

dogonfr said:
Tough choice Heckler's been around a long time and you can basickly read what your getting into on the many post about it. Chumba is making a comeback so the review count is way down yet they offer an awesome product and the CS is fantastic. :thumbsup:

If I had to chose between the two today I would go with the XCL. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
How do you compare this 2 frames in technical descents and corners ?

Thx

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
spr said:

Thx
He can't. He doesn't own a Chumba, so what he did was when his Ibex buddy got a sponsorship, he started peddling Chumba immediately, both on models they didn't even own. The "buddy" already got in hot water with Chumba over shilling, so he doesn't speak too much on them.

They are nice frames, however. Pick what's best. I won't automatically rule out the Heckler, though I see it a bit above in mission over the XCL. They don't exactly mesh in the class.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
spr said:

Thx
It would be extremely tough to say one is better than the other, the Heckler has been a proven design that handles excellent and was a go to play bike for many DH racers, I rode one of the early one and it really changed my mind on a SP it's amazing. The Chumba gets great customer support as well as company support reinforcing confidence in the so called new kid on the block. Chumba has been here a long time designing and building quality bikes and sponsoring some of the top racers in the country to the podium. They took some time off for a few years but are back stronger then before, they are making trips around the country offering a demo program. :thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
He can't. He doesn't own a Chumba, so what he did was when his Ibex buddy got a sponsorship, he started peddling Chumba immediately, both on models they didn't even own. The "buddy" already got in hot water with Chumba over shilling, so he doesn't speak too much on them.
That is correct I dont own a Chumba but hay you dont either. As for supporting Chumba I have liked them from the early years and was glad to see them come back. I was supporting Chumba before mrperc was sponsored by them, he has been quiet since Sat because of a broken clavicle not because of you although you do seem to like to lurk him for some perv reason. Stick to your Turner forum where you get real love. :rockon:

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Didn't versus cycles also tell you to stop advertising for them?

It seemed one aspect of this was because you were attached to bargain basement frames and bikes, and the perception of versus became the same with your recommendations for them. Hell, even I thought they were junkers because you were recommending them.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Didn't versus cycles also tell you to stop advertising for them?

It seemed one aspect of this was because you were attached to bargain basement frames and bikes, and the perception of versus became the same with your recommendations for them. Hell, even I thought they were junkers because you were recommending them.
JC your attempting to stir the pot with no clue again the OP is asking questions about two bikes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
dogonfr said:
It would be extremely tough to say one is better than the other, the Heckler has been a proven design that handles excellent and was a go to play bike for many DH racers, I rode one of the early one and it really changed my mind on a SP it's amazing. The Chumba gets great customer support as well as company support reinforcing confidence in the so called new kid on the block. Chumba has been here a long time designing and building quality bikes and sponsoring some of the top racers in the country to the podium. They took some time off for a few years but are back stronger then before, they are making trips around the country offering a demo program. :thumbsup:
How does this answer his question at all?

He is asking how they handle decents and corners and you say you rode one Heckler, an "early one". Since they have been around for about a decade, with significantly different frames I dont know this qualifies... Then you give a Chumba CS line :madman:

I dont mind recommending what you rock, or even have some good test time on. Hell, even something that looks cool, or looks like what the OP is asking about, but that is overboard...:nono:

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
dogonfr said:
JC your attempting to stir the pot with no clue again the OP is asking questions about two bikes. :rolleyes:
You tend to accuse me of "stirring the pot" only when you get called out for doing what you're doing. I believe the Chumba disciplinary action against their sponsored rider that was caught shilling here would likely extend to you due to "familial ties". From my talks with Chumba, they don't want anymore of this nonsense from you two. They only want fairness and to let the bikes and the riders speak for themselves, not have people with extraordinarily questionable reputations (reference the Ibex scandal) speaking up for them. This is now the second manufacturer that doesn't want to be tied with you.

As a consumer forum, people have to know who they're getting their information from, but because now you're the focal point of these problems (and yes, I can and have backed it up, though I prefer to keep pages of letters private), you call it "stirring the pot".

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
You tend to accuse me of "stirring the pot" only when you get called out for doing what you're doing. I believe the Chumba disciplinary action against their sponsored rider that was caught shilling here would likely extend to you due to "familial ties". From my talks with Chumba, they don't want anymore of this nonsense from you two. They only want fairness and to let the bikes and the riders speak for themselves, not have people with extraordinarily questionable reputations (reference the Ibex scandal) speaking up for them. This is now the second manufacturer that doesn't want to be tied with you.

As a consumer forum, people have to know who they're getting their information from, but because now you're the focal point of these problems (and yes, I can and have backed it up, though I prefer to keep pages of letters private), you call it "stirring the pot".
Stop drop N roll :rockon: Arguing with a monitor cool. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2006 Heckler. It is absolutely awesome. I love it. It is the best do it all bike, and the single pivot makes it so simple. I would suggest it 120% of the time, although its not fair for me to say it's "better" than the Chumba... But yeah, I say HECKLER.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Never ridden a Chumba but I bought a Heckler 18 months ago and its been a real confidence giver, it has let me do more than I ever thought I could the handling and solid feel of the bike really inspires confidence, I started riding two years ago today, and I have really been bitten by the bug I have built 12 bikes in this time and the Heckler is still the one I turn to, I'm down to 3 Heckler , Superlight and a Mongoose, every other bike I have ridden has been fun but not a Heckler, I've covered 3500 miles on mine and it awesome. And I'm not a dealer,just a bod who rides, the blatant advertising can be really annoying at times, it serves no real purpose.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Glad I stumbled on this thread. I see JC and the Dog still have a fantastic relationship.

I have owned a Heckler and a Chumba Evo. The new design Heckler still has the traditonal sp and will be lower maintenance than the Chumba over the long haul. The HL of the Chumba gives a noticeably smoother rider over technical terrain going down and up the mountain. You will get slightly better climbing traction with the XCL and better braking performance coming down. I loved my Heckler because it had a great feel that is very comfortable and easy to get used to. A great all around bike. With this said, the Chumba pedals slightly better. The XCL also has a stiffer rear end. I think Chumba offers the polished rear end for the XCL that is stronger than the original rear triangle.

Both are great bikes.

·
low speed, high drag
317 Posts
Funny JC, in all your posts I've encountered I don't think I've ever seen you contribute anything positive. Clearly you have a great bike and are quite knowledgeable about manufacturing and bikes in general. How about riding more and trolling less ey? :thumbsup: I'd be happy to have any of the bikes you guys are on...

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
ronny said:
I loved my Heckler because it had a great feel that is very comfortable and easy to get used to.
This really stuck out to me riding the heckler. I've had a slew of hardtails and demo'ed or borrowed ~10 FS bikes, the heckler is the only one where i hopped on and instantly fell right at home, there weren't any quirks to learn, i instantly forgot about it. I think that's high praise. Never been on a chumba.

I find people who have been around less than a year and bish about other people to be needlessly negative and obnoxious. Keep your opinions about other posters to yourself.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
I have read nothing but rave reviews about the Heckler, old or new, and considered it myself.
But, I ended up with XCL, and am extremely happy with my decision.
Seems everyone who rides either are very happy so can't go wrong.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.