Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make my decision for my first FS bike. To date, I've been riding a Raleigh M50 that's about 6 years old now. Because of a knee injury, I can't do any running or anything of that nature. About the only thing I can do for physical activity is ride my bike. So, I'm looking to get into mountain biking. I like the idea of just buying one bike that will suit all my needs and not having to upgrade in the future.

I like everything I've read about Santa Cruz's Bullits and Hecklers.

However, I have one little question about these bikes.... Hopefully, you guys can help me out here.

What is each bike best suited for?

I'm a big, heavy guy (6'3", 250 lbs). So, I figured that a bullit might be my best choice as I hear they can really take the abuse dished out to them.

However, I (currently) only plan on some heavy trail riding (i.e. single track with a few small drops here and there). I may get the courage to try some downhill, but it wouldn't be too extreme. So, I was thinking maybe a heckler would best suit my needs, as it tends to be a bit more XC than the bullit does.

Would I be better finding a bullit, or a heckler?

I think ultimately, I'd like a nice all-mountain bike that will be able to take the abuse that my fat butt can dish out to it :D

·
Registered
593 Posts
sundevil98 said:
I'm trying to make my decision for my first FS bike. To date, I've been riding a Raleigh M50 that's about 6 years old now. Because of a knee injury, I can't do any running or anything of that nature. About the only thing I can do for physical activity is ride my bike. So, I'm looking to get into mountain biking. I like the idea of just buying one bike that will suit all my needs and not having to upgrade in the future.

However, I have one little question about these bikes.... Hopefully, you guys can help me out here.

I'm a big, heavy guy (6'3", 250 lbs). So, I figured that a bullit might be my best choice as I hear they can really take the abuse dished out to them.

However, I (currently) only plan on some heavy trail riding (i.e. single track with a few small drops here and there). I may get the courage to try some downhill, but it wouldn't be too extreme. So, I was thinking maybe a heckler would best suit my needs, as it tends to be a bit more XC than the bullit does.

I think ultimately, I'd like a nice all-mountain bike that will be able to take the abuse that my fat butt can dish out to it :D
Definetly get the Bullit. I bought my Bullit frame from a guy who is your size (a little taller) who sold the Bullit for a Heckler frame at the start of this season and he has already twisted up the shock because of the flex at his/your weight.

The Bullit is it man, and if you don't want DC forks get the 05 Sherman Firefly plus it is 150mm travel and I have it on my Bullit. It is perfect for FR and heavy XC.

·
|i|
352 Posts
No question -- Heckler. The frame is burly as hell in person -- in fact I would say it is too burly for the type of riding you describe, but with your weight, I'd say it's probably a good idea. The Bullit is unnecessary, IMO.

sundevil98 said:

·
Registered
593 Posts
robotkiller said:
No question -- Heckler. The frame is burly as hell in person -- in fact I would say it is too burly for the type of riding you describe, but with your weight, I'd say it's probably a good idea. The Bullit is unnecessary, IMO.
Hey ride both but like I said, I speak from experience. The guy who had my Bullit was your exact height and weight. He doesn't jump FR he just does small 3' drops and rides aggressive XC.

When I got my frame the rear triangle was loosened up from only one short (NE) season of his riding! I snugged up the pivot and had the shock reducers and bushes replaced.

I am 5'11" and 200lbs. I would say that I could probly get away with riding the Heckler but I choose the Bullit for the strenght and reliability. He wishes he kept it the Heckler is too light for him and not because he goes big or FR.

Hey just ride both but I speak from experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
sundevil98 said:
Well, that's one vote for the Bullit and one for the Heckler....

Anyone else want to chime in??? :D

I will. At your size, I would go Bullit too. I'm 6'1", 200lbs and ride a bullit. With the 5th Element in the rear and a Zocchi Z1 w/ ETA up front it climbs very well. And of course, it sucks up anything that lies in it's path.

I chose the Bullit mostly because of it's burliness and it's only a pound heavier then the Heckler. Also, with the shock shuttle, you can adjust your BB height and head angle to your liking. I had a lot of problems on past bikes with flexing as I am not light either and tend to grind hard sometimes on climbs - the Bullit has no flex whatsoever.

So in the long run, you'll be getting a very burly, stiff frame that can climb decent and an extra 2" of travel while only sacrificing a pound (which at your weight is meaningless). No brainer if you ask me.

Good luck - they're both awesome bikes.

MF

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive owned both, so I guess I can speak from experience also as the gentlemen before myself did.

old:

new:

Im not quite your size, but I guess compared to some im a clydesdale (6', 220). Each bike has its distinct differences. With the type of riding you said you will be doing, go with the Heckler. Its more manuverable in the tight stuff and feels like a better platform for hard trail riding and XC IMO. If you were truely being honest about what you want from the bike, then the Heckler is your best bet. If you think you will be going bigger, and doing more than 3-4ft drops, go with the Bullit. Im still breaking in the frame and getting used to how it feels, but im a more confident jumper and drops are easier to do for me on the Bullit. The frame soaks up everything I can throw at it, and ive recently just started doing things that I didnt feel comfortable doing on the Heckler.

HTH

-Todd

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
All things in moderation. IMO the bullit is far more bike than you need. The extra weight and geometry will just be a handicap on your XC rides. I might push you toward the bullit if you were already riding dh and freeride. As it sounds an all mountain rig like a heckler would likely suit you best.

Get a lockout capable single crown up front and moderate components and call it good. Evan at 250lb the heckler will handle you.

I am about 235 in gear and have had no issues with my heckler. My riding buddy is at about 220 geared up and has been riding his since early in 2003. Plenty of drops, jumps, and general abuse has been laid on these steeds.

So, IMO

Heckler = Great enduro/trail bike, hook it up to a single crown and ride it all day. Big boy XC bike.

Bullit = great freeride/dh/aggressive trail bike, throw a triple clamp fork on it and go find a local dh trail. Entry level DH or very aggressive trail bike.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Bullit

sundevil98 said:

simply because of it's strength. But a warning- you will find yourself doing things you don't plan on doing right now (drops, downhill, jumps!) because the bullit will taunt you!!!

·
Woodlot local
494 Posts
Bullit

I would not recommend the Heckler due to the fact you are one big dude.

I would recommend the Bullit. As others have said, it is only 1 pound heavier and at your weight and size, that is like skipping the morning bowel movement.

The Bullit can easily be set up to climb similary to the Heckler, but will allow you to ride more agressively and do it safely.

I am writing this from possibly a different perspective than most as I live and ride on the West Coast of BC, you know...THE SHORE. Therefore what I considered heavy trail riding and small drops may be a little more extreme than your definitions.

You also said you would possibly like to try DH if you get the courage......well I sure as hell would not recommend trying it on a Heckler.

Go with the Bullit, you will be much happier.

Later,

BobRocket

1 - 10 of 10 Posts