Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me out a litle with this thing please. I'm trying to decide between forks for a new heckler frame with thr DHX air on the back. One possible fork is the new RS revelation dual-air with 508 mm a-c. Another would be the 2005 Marz AM1 with ~520-540.

I would prefer the RS for its light weight, but is it too short? Anyone tried a heckler with a revelation? A picture would also be nice. :p

I would definetly go for the pike if it would come with standard QR... (investing in a new hub and rebuilding the frontwheel... is it worth it....?)

Oh, the bike will be used for everything between XC and agressive trail. Mostly trail. Can you give some A-C hight that would close to optimal?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. So the Revelation should be spot on with ~509 axle to crown. Still I see so many heckler/other similar frames riders raving about Marz AM1 being soooo much better than even fox floats/talas. And any others can't even be compared they say....
I'm just so lost here. The fact is that I can not try them out before buying. So I will have to pick one, and stick with it. I would like to get the AM1, the only drawback is the weight. I'm not a total weightweenie, but I would like to build up the heckler somewhat light.
As I sed earlier it will be used mostly for trailriding. But I'de like it to climb pretty good, and to be able to keep up with the pace of some buddies riding a litle lighter trail setups. Any drops it should be able to handle will be at most ~3 feet of air.

Please please, pretty please.... any AM1 or Revelation owners, tell your story....

·
No e-drama please!!
142 Posts
I have a 22.5" Axle to crown with my Medium Heckler & 6" Boxxer pro. I raised it because that's what i like.No i can't climb with it like that, but it rips DH & 4x..
That's the same axle to crown (22.5") from my Large Bullet with a Monster-T.I had a Manitiou Black Elite on there for :15 then took it off.It's was way too low for anything except XC.
I would go with the taller All Mountain dood..

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
I run the Heckler I used to own with a Fox Vanilla 125,if I remember correct the A-C is 495mm with this fork and the bike feeled great for any XC situation and climbed awesome but if you want to ride the Heckler like it is supposed to be go with a fork with a longer A-C.
I instaled a RockShox Pike at my Heckler before selling it and it was a great improvement at all, especially for decending, dropping, jumping and anything that makes fun.
Honestly, if I would be in your shoes I would go with the longer fork.

Later
RaD

·
Advanced Slacker
15,800 Posts
Jazzer said:
Can anyone help me out a litle with this thing please. I'm trying to decide between forks for a new heckler frame with thr DHX air on the back. One possible fork is the new RS revelation dual-air with 508 mm a-c. Another would be the 2005 Marz AM1 with ~520-540.

I would prefer the RS for its light weight, but is it too short? Anyone tried a heckler with a revelation? A picture would also be nice. :p

I would definetly go for the pike if it would come with standard QR... (investing in a new hub and rebuilding the frontwheel... is it worth it....?)

Oh, the bike will be used for everything between XC and agressive trail. Mostly trail. Can you give some A-C hight that would close to optimal?
If you can deal with getting a new front wheel built, the 20mm Maxle makes a big difference compared to a QR. I think the Pike is a PERFECT fork for the Heckler. Plus it has adjustable travel, so you can have it however you want. I used to have a `04 TALAS (495mm max) and while it was a good hieght overall, I wanted something taller at times. The Pike at full travel feels great for DH and super sketchy stuff (I think it's around 518mm a-c at 140mm travel), and I lower it down to about 503mm (125mm travel) for all around riding. If it is a pretty striaght up xc ride I'll drop it to about 488mm (110mm travel) and for long, steep and/or extended climbs I'll take it all the way down to 473mm (95mm travel)

If you are worried about having the right a-c, an adjustable fork is great, and the range of the Pike is a perfect match for the Heckler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I second that. If your into aggresive trail riding the pike is the best fork for the Heckler, infact the Pike is the best value for money fork on the market. My brother has a 426 on his Heckler and it has transformed the bike. The coil is buttery smooth, the U Turn and Maxle is brilliant. It's worth the extra in stiffness to upgrade the front hub.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.