Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone here can answer my question. I been riding the hell out of my heckler and I been doing about 6-7 foot drops on it with decent tranys. I have the bike set up with coil front and back. My question is should/can I go bigger then 7 feet on the bike? Will it take it no prob? Or am I pushing it? At about the 7 feet mark I feel impact even if I am landing smooth anything below that is like nothing.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
According to the Santa Cruz website:

The drop height limit on the Heckler with an air shock is 6.83 feet. Hecklers with coils shocks are limited to 7.56 feet.

It is a good thing you asked this question since you are very close to the max allowed Heckler drop height.

However, I am sure Santa Cruz errs on the side of caution so you could continue to send it. Nothing confirms or denies like actual experience.

7 feet is a big drop. The occasional big drops with good transitons aren't a big deal on burly XC bikes like Hecklers if the suspension is set up right and the wheels are built for that abuse.

It only takes one BAD landing or missed transiton to break a frame or wheelset even at half of your stated height.

If you are smooth and the transition is good, you could go much bigger on a Heckler or a hardtail for that matter.

You could also walk out of the house and be hit by space debris.

Stranger things have happened. People win the lottery multiple times.

I am sure you are not the only one repeatedly hucking 7' on a Heckler and managing to avoid frame replacement and expensive dental work.

Best to wait for someone with actual 7'+ Heckler hucking experience to chime in.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have burly wheels as well I did not know about the 7.56foot drop limit though. That is good I asked. The bike feels different when I hit that 7' mark which I think its more of a drop since I am measuring the top of the lander to the top of the drop so in theory you are landing farther down the lander. etc... Either way I might have to move up to a nomad or bullit at some point I guess. THanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.