Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding my heckler for about 6 months now it has been great, now I am looking to upgrade the basic components i have on it and am thinking of starting with a new front fork, currently I have a rock shox recon 351 on it. I am looking to add a little more travel to "relax" the angles, but would also like to shave some weight so I can keep up on the long rides, any sugestions? Sorry if this thread already exists, just send me the link to it please

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
What travel is your recon? 2010 models go up to 140mm.

IMO the Heckler is best with a 140-150mm fork. I have been riding either a revelation 140mm, pike 140mm, and now have a revelation 150mm. At 150mm depending on the bar/stem setup it can feel too raked for technical climbing. I have made a few adjustments and am now able to compensate to some degree, but it is a compromise in climbing for the slacker geo and downhill stability. Unless you spend most of your time doing fast dh and chunk trails I wouldn't even bother with a 160mm fork.

At 150mm there is nothing I do that I couldn't do on a 140mm fork. The downhills are just a bit better and the uphills are a bit worse ;)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I replaced my Recon 351 with a Talas 36 and I couldn't be happier. You can crank it down to 100mm for long climbs, 130mm for trail riding, and 160mm for DH days. Best upgrade on my Heckler, along with a coil shock.

·
Registered
974 Posts
160mm is where it is at. Seriously. I have run a 140mm, a 150mm, and now a 160mm fork and I am in love with the slackness of the 160. Get an adjustable fork and have the best of both worlds (lyrik u-turn or talas or the like).

I originally thought I would use the u-turn for different situations...but the only time it ever leaves 160mm is for long gravel roads between a few of my trails. Even for pure XC riding I leave it at 160mm. Still climbs the same with some simple body weight adjustments. If i'm not making the hill at 160mm of travel, it isn't like I would make it at 130mm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.