Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get an '07 Heckler and am trying to figure out what fork and shock I want. I typically ride pretty aggressive but I don't do many drops over 6'. I am coming of a hardtail GF Rig, so I know how to put the bike down gently after jumps and drops. Getting a little rough on my back!

Here is what I am planning on getting, Fox Talas 32 and a DHX Coil 5.0. Any suggestions on durability and or handling. Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
fork pike 454 or talas rlc, r shock has to either be a manitou 4 way spv air shock or the fox dhx coil. If you run a fox air shock, it'll bottom out due to the heckler's falling rate suspensoin.

G

·
Falling,

You get full credit for doing 6' drops on a hardtail! That being said, I think you are a great candidate for a DHX 5 coil rear. Regarding forks, there are a lot of great choices out there, both air and coil (and air/coil combo), but with your "falling" ability, I'd go coil. Good luck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
i just ordered a heckler, but unfortunately all i could get it with was a dhx air. i may try to trade it as soon as it arrives, but who knows. as for the shock, espeically if you'll be doing more freeride oriented stuff, i went with the 07 z1 rc2x eta. seems like a good fork although i haven't heard many reviews.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm on a Fox Vanilla 07 at the front, and a Fox DHX 5.0 coil at the rear. 140mm of travel front and rear. Cant go wrong with that.

Am thinking of trading my dhx for a roco, anyone got reviews on the roco?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have just gone from a 5th Elephant to DHX air on my Heckler and am loving it. The DHX airs that come with the Hecklers are valved differently to make them more suitable for the Heckler

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dear Falling guy,
I've owned a Heckler for 4 years (Now I have a Nomad).
I used 3 shock & fork combos untill I found the right combo for me.
I would go for DHX 5 coil + coil fork of your choice.
Ron.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just ordered a Heckler frame with a DHX Air and my head is about to explode trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it for a PUSHed Rp3/23. There is so much conflicting information regarding the DHX Air/Heckler combo although it seems that most who actually own one like it. My riding is East coast singletrack, no jumps or big drops. Any thoughts :confused:

·
Registered
530 Posts
yeah same here. i will have the exact same setup, dhx air rear and i'm not sure what to do. on one hand i want to try it out, on the other hand i want to trade it asap since it will be do. sounds like a question for tnc.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well, I got my new Heckler built up on saturday and promptly went and ragged it round the local forest like a DH bike, difference was I was able to pedal to the top first! I've got a DHX5.0 coil with '06 Z1 Light ETA. It rules. Hugely impressed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I have settled on a DHX Coil 5.0 for the rear shock. But I still don't know what I want for the front shock. I go to Pisgah/Dupont/Tsali in Eastern North Carolina so I do a lot of climbing but I am pretty much full speed downhill. Downhills and uphills are pretty technical. I typically ride 60-70 miles a weekend when I goto Asheville. So I would say half of that is uphill.

Are coil shocks very adjustable. I am pretty comfortable with front air shocks. I feel that I can dial them in pretty easily. There isn't much I won't hit with my current bike. Its just a little painful on my back.

I am probably going to wait for the '07 model so I have some time to think. But please keep the advice coming.

·
Registered
530 Posts
heh nice. i'm actually from that area, the asheville area. pisgah is great fun man. the heckler is ideal for that terrain. i def. have preferred coils in the past, thats why i'm a little skpetical of the air shock.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A LBS has a '06 Heckler that was custom built for someone and the buyer backed out. They have it at a great price. It has a DHX 5.0 coil on the back in a Mar. All Mountain II ZF2. Does anyone have any experience with this front shock? I haven't seen any reviews of it on here. All that I know is that it has Air preload, ETA and rebound adjustments.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.