Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I prevously owned 03 Heckler, loved the bike but noticed it suffered from brake jack when descending rough stuff while braking.

The rear end was also a bit flexy

Just wondering if the new 07 Heckler suffers from these things?

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
I have the new one and its stiff and I dont notice any flex at all, compared to a 06 S-works enduro 04 Gemini and 07 Enduro SL. I've had a flexy 04 575 and I noticed the flex on that.
Brake Jack, I remember it being on the Gemini but didnt worry me that much, I havent noticed any now as I'm a better rider and dont brake like I used to, one thing I have heard is by sticking a 6" brake disc on the back, I have a 7" at the bak at the mo, and already have an old 6" rotor to go on if I get the adapter, but I havent noticed anything bad to detract from the riding enjoyment.

·
smartass
698 Posts
I've only ridden single pivot suspension (Heckler, Morewood), so I can't really comment on "brake jack." All I can say is that any traits inherent to single pivot suspension have never made me feel any loss of control while on the brakes.

As for stiffness, my '05 Heckler is as stiff as it needs to be for trail riding, including aggressive trail/all-mountain/light freeride/whatever you call it these days. The only time I've noticed any rear end flex was riding at Diablo. On particularly rocky downhill trails, I could definitely feel flex in the rear end. But for 99.9% of the riding my Heckler is used for, it's perfect.

The '07's are supposed to be stiffer, so I'd think they would be plenty stiff. (of course, that's just e-speculation from somebody who's never ridden an '07.)

·
Registered
353 Posts
amish_matt said:
The '07's are supposed to be stiffer, so I'd think they would be plenty stiff. (of course, that's just e-speculation from somebody who's never ridden an '07.)
I have an '07 and I weigh about 185-190 lbs and I ride a Medium. I will say it does brake jack a little but there is no flex that I can speak of and the rear swing arm is different than the previous models I am not sure if that is what makes a difference or not but... I have never ridden an older model to do a good comparison.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have an 07 Heckler and I don't notice any flex. I use an older Superlite for hauling a bob trailer full of trail building tools. When it is loaded it will flex enough to make the tire rub on the swing arm. I used the Heckler with the bob trailer and felt no flex.
I put a 6" rotor on the rear and the brakes feel more balanced. The rear felt too strong with the 7".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts