Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has), it's just that I'm having trouble with the Search function.
Which rear shock is best for the Heckler's design ?
High volume shock (DHX Air) ?
Low volume shock (RP3 ) ?
Anything else (other than fox) ?, and why ?
Thanks
PM

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
Fox DHX 5.0.

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
That is hard to answer...

PizzaMan said:
I'm sorry if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has), it's just that I'm having trouble with the Search function.
Which rear shock is best for the Heckler's design ?
High volume shock (DHX Air) ?
Low volume shock (RP3 ) ?
Anything else (other than fox) ?, and why ?
Thanks
PM
It will depend on what you like to ride as far as trails, do you like xc? downhill? technical? drops/jumps? I also think that rider weight would matter also. I have the rp3 on my heckler on love it. I use the 3 pro pedal settings for varying trails. I weigh 160 lbs with gear. I have not ridden with a coil on my heckler yet but want to try one.

Back to your question, I really feel it is a matter of opinion- Which rear shock is best for the Heckler's design? When I got my heckler I wanted the higher volume air rp3 I had read about but my LBS told me the heckler's single pivot design worked best with a low volume air shock at my rider weight. I do not know if this is true but I do like the rp3, I have had it for about a year and a half.

I think if you get an opportunity to try different rear shocks before you buy you'd get a better idea of which one works best for you. If you have the cash buy both the rp3 and the dhx air...you always need back ups. If you really don't like one of them just sell it. You could also get the dhx air then buy the rp3 air sleeve separately to make the dhx air low volume(I read that somewhere on mtbr). Just some ideas.... and, yes, there are other shocks out there besides fox. Also check out Push Industries(in Colorado), they customize your rear fox shock or you can buy it new and customized from them, they do the same for the front. I do not have their web address memorized but they are on this forum and you can find them pretty easily by searching. I had my 04 talas push'd last year and it made a difference. They are going to get my rp3 when I get the cash.

·
Registered
499 Posts
DHX Air and liking it so far...

I went with DHX Air and so far it's been great. Now it really depends on your type of riding and what sort of "feel" you want on the bike. The DHX Air is plush and uses it's travel, this is the "blowing thru" condition you've probably read about. I think the DHX Air climbs great, is super smooth on the rough stuff, etc. The RP3 might be less plush, but is only available in the 2.25" stroke length with the high volume air sleeve. (so it will be more plush than the 2.00 stroke RP3 with standard air sleeve). Sounds like the Pushed Heckler specific RP3/RP23 might be interesting, some good feedback so far.

Note: The 7.875 i2i with 2.25" standard RP3 air sleeve doesn't exist according to Fox, thus you cannot swap out the high volume DHX Air sleeve as mentioned above. (been there). This had been done over in the Turner board, different size (7.50" x 2.00") has more air sleeve choices.

·
Ultimate Poseur
398 Posts
I asked SC about air shocks a while back for the Heckler. Their advice was to avoid the "high volume" shock bodies. They said that the standard volume body would work "ok." SC spec for Float R equipped Heckler is a small volume canister. I would think that the SC spec for the DHX-A would be the small canister as well. I picked up a second-hand Float R earlier this year...I'll be sending it to Push this winter. As it is right now I actually prefer it to the 5th coil I was running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts