Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Thought I would share my newly painted frame, just back from powder coating :D

I bought some new decals for SC UK and had the paint guys fit and clear coat over the top and a new head tube logo, my frame is a 2007 large.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Stumpy_Steve yes I'm taking it in for facing and to have the headset pressed in, it has already been faced before paint so I imagine they will just face the paint off and clean the paint dust out of the threads, there seems to be a small amount of over spray in the threads, but none where the bearings and swing arm pivot mount. was n't sure if yellow would be nice but I really like it :D

G

·
jeffus said:
Hi Stumpy_Steve yes I'm taking it in for facing and to have the headset pressed in, it has already been faced before paint so I imagine they will just face the paint off and clean the paint dust out of the threads, there seems to be a small amount of over spray in the threads, but none where the bearings and swing arm pivot mount. was n't sure if yellow would be nice but I really like it :D
Looks great jeffus. What color was it before the new paint job and how much did it cost, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

well the old Hecklers coming together, bought a Pro Pack so it would all look new the old pivot was cracked on the cap screw hit a rock and its nice to start fresh, kept my old mech hanger as it has the bottle opener, I have a new one to go on but no opener ,

DHX-5 goes back on , had it Push'd and serviced a few months ago, super plush :D

I've got a Chris King black head set to go on next, and when the BB is faced and cleaned up a Stainless Hope BB to try and last out the wet UK weather.

:thumbsup: Black Dragon, the frame was orange before, the powder coat was £130 , clear coat was £20, decals from SC £18

had the frame done here www.argoscycles.com took about 4 weeks from pick up to drop off.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats good to know unsponsored, that the Hope is working out ok, my xtr BB is getting a bit gritty, at least you can swop out bearings when they go in the Hope, you can even upgrade to the ceramic bearings. I have a set of the new Hope tech 4 brakes to go on, hopefully they will be a good replacement for my Code 5's, which where great but not as easy to maintain.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Final build, not sure on the weight but its heavy I would say 35-40lb will do a weigh in tomorrow , I'm going to build another set of wheels thinking of Hope ProII 10mm bolt on axle rear 20mm front would like king but running out of money, :D and Mavic 721 or 823 rims , I want to be able to put a 2.5 tyre on will mainly run 2.35. I'm really pleased just need to find a good day to ride :D
build is
Large 07 Heckler threads chased , BB faced , rear disc mount faced, head tube faced after paint
Lyric coil u turn
DHX-5 coil Push'd
xtr short mech shadow
xtr front mech
xtr shifters
thomson post and 70 mm stem
Easton monkey bars
xtr cranks with E-13 DRS
DX flats
KIng head set
Mavic Deetraks with 2.5 Kenda Nevs
Hope Tech 4 brakes braided hoses and floating disc 203mm and 183mm
SRAM PG990 Cassette 32-11 991 chain
Hope BB stainless
Charge spoon saddle.
Race face lock on grips.
thinking of Hope or King hubs with Mavic 721 or 823 rims
any suggestions for wheels would be welcome :thumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
If your up for suggestions on wheels i have kings on dt swiss spokes brass nipples and mavic 819 disc rims and they come in at 2000g and so far probably the best set of wheels I have used to date. I had a couple sets of hadley's and and liked them a lot but the king's I like alot more for whatever reason. I also would reccomend easton havoc wheels people seem to love em. Love the build you have looks real nice!
here's a pics of my wheels for reference i think they would look real nice on you ride.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The cranks are great with the E-13 DRS, you have to run the 36 tooth Bash, I tried a 32 but you have clearance problems with the arms and the roller guide, even with the 36 you still have to file and smooth 1-2mm off the roller guide so it clears the crank arms otherwise it is very close and can rub under load, the chain thrash is gone and overall a lot quieter running , and the chain has never jumped off, never did before but was noisy, without the third ring I miss the extra gear on the road, but hardly ever on the trails.

I love the King hubs, my other set of wheels are Hope ProII's with Mavic XM719's, I might run with them for now, with 2.35 Kenda Nevs and change to EX721's later.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.