Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heckler folk....does that thing pedal well enough to run it as a 1x9 for trail riding? I have been on a singlepeed for the last 4yrs (or maybe 3.5 but whatever). Anyhow, I wondered just how well it pedals with a 5th coil.

PS If anyone know someone selling a small or med. frame, I'd be all about talking to them. Lemme know. Thanks.

·
Give'r or go home!!
113 Posts
Yes...I believe that it does.

I have an XL Heckler with the 5th Element Coil over. This is my first FS bike, as I've always been leary in the past of making the switch. All the FS bikes I've tried had noticable pedal feedback and I just hate that "tugging" feeling on my pedals. It may be the design, but it is more likely the stable platform shock, but either way the heckler does pedal very well. If you want, you can dial in that shock to give you an almost hardtail feeling (still sucks up bumps, but with a very stable platform) or you and dial it in nice and soft. As with everything, the perfect balance is the tough part. I would say that if you live in an area with little to no steep climbs, you could ride this as a 1x9 no problem at all. (You may want to try out a few different chain rings to find that perfect gear coimbo for your area though). That's all I use most of the time where I am, although there are occasions where dear old granny is nice to have!! And, I have't yet to notice any real pedal feedback in the granny by the way.

Anyways, to be concise, my vote would be for a YES on the 1x9

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I think a vpp is better suited for 1x9 duty. The heckler is a great bike, I have owned 3 of them over the years. It climbs very well until you stand up and hammer (hammering out of the saddle is necessary on a 1x9). Once you are standing and mashing the pedals it bobs and does get some feedback. The VPP bikes I have demo'd have not had that issue. FWIW I am close to 230lb, so that may be a completely different ball game.

IME the heckler is a great 2x9 rig.

·
uhhhh
60 Posts
namaSSte said:
Heckler folk....does that thing pedal well enough to run it as a 1x9 for trail riding? I have been on a singlepeed for the last 4yrs (or maybe 3.5 but whatever). Anyhow, I wondered just how well it pedals with a 5th coil.
Guess it all depends on how much climbing is included in your definition of trail riding. I ride a Heck with a 2x9 setup and would have a hard time sacrificing that granny ring for the big days. The bike pedals great seated, I don't think it's well suited for much standup pedalling.

As another person pointed out, you would likely be standing a lot with a 1x9 setup and would probably blow through the stable platform on the 5th Element by doing that standing climbing. If you put enough air in it to keep you aloft during that it would be pretty stiff once you sat back down and wanted the suspension to work.

-RoDo

·
Registered
585 Posts
I ride my heckler with a 1x9 setup!

I use a 32t in the front and a 11-34t in the rear with no problems at all. FWIW I also have a single speed and have learned how to flow really well on trails. I have NEVER used a granny gear and I miss the 44t way more than the 22t. I ride technical trails with nice sized climbs that have made several grown men cry. Try it... you will not miss the granny...

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something Clever... said:
I use a 32t in the front and a 11-34t in the rear with no problems at all. FWIW I also have a single speed and have learned how to flow really well on trails. I have NEVER used a granny gear and I miss the 44t way more than the 22t. I ride technical trails with nice sized climbs that have made several grown men cry. Try it... you will not miss the granny...
great to hear that! we are cut from the same cloth brutha! I have ridden singlespeed for the last four years. xc races, endurance events, dj's, you name it. even with the added heckler weight (over the ht), Id still pick up 8 more gears - seems like a lot to me. when you calculate overlaps, I really don't think you lose much on a 1by. Im going to try it that way...32x11-32 and see how it goes....then again, I raced the Snowshoe Norba a few years back with 2 rings in front and an 11-25 road cassette in back so I guess Im biased towards flow and bigger gears.

·
Registered
835 Posts
easy peasy

i'm currently riding a 04 Haro X3 which I've lightened with a 5th air and Marz AM 3's, plus other components to get a weight of 31lbs ie. Hecklerish type bike

running a 36t front( (w/E13 srs guide) 11-34t cassette and haven't found to many cases where I've gone below 3rd gear.......and yes I do have some steep "out of the saddle climbs."

if I was to enter an endurance/XC event the only thing I'd change is to go a 38th on the front for a bit more top end.

give your current gears some trial & error situs, where you stay in the middle ring and don't go below third...........see what you can accomplish with limited gears.

BTW this bike is about to morph to a Blur 4X frame so stay tuned for pics..................

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gripo said:
....see what you can accomplish with limited gears.

BTW this bike is about to morph to a Blur 4X frame so stay tuned for pics..................
sweet, post em up man!!!! as for what can be accomplished, like I said, Ive ridden SS for the last four yrs including solo endurance races on it. Its more about the legs and lungs than the gears (usually, that is)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.