Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to northstar for the first time ever today and had blast! That place rocks!

I took my 03 heckler with Pike Team in the front and a DHX Coil.

The rear suspension felt great but the front end sucked. I have the 2.25 stroke dhx so im at 5.6 rear travel.

I found a deal on a 05 888RC with direct mount stem and the right coils for my weight. I can get it for $300 and its local.

Am I crazy to put this on there? I did not feel limited by the bike besides the front end. I went down Boondocks first run and made it the whole way. I do not plan on doing any huge drops to flats or any crazy sh!t with my bike just want more travel, a coil fork, and the strength of a dual crown.

Chris

·
Registered
706 Posts
If your pike "sucked" then you must have it setup poorly because pikes feel terrific. As for the Dual Crown: No. Just NO. :skep: :nono: Unless of course you want it to ride like crap from the changed geometry and break the headtube off. A pike is the perfect match for that frame. No matter how hard you try it will not be a DH bike.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I was being a dumbass about the DC. Im over it.

I found a 05 66vf local as well for 300.

The pike is setup right. Kent at Watta bikes on south shore went through it on Friday and adjusted the rebound and whatnot. Said it was setup right.

I like the pike for when I ride trails and lighter stuff but it just didnt feel right and I really want a coil sprung fork.

So 66vf.........

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
chris_d said:
I know I was being a dumbass about the DC. Im over it.

I found a 05 66vf local as well for 300.

The pike is setup right. Kent at Watta bikes on south shore went through it on Friday and adjusted the rebound and whatnot. Said it was setup right.

I like the pike for when I ride trails and lighter stuff but it just didnt feel right and I really want a coil sprung fork.

So 66vf.........
I'd stay away from a 05 66 on that bike too.
The axle to crown height on that fork is almost as tall as the 05 888 and would cause the same problems Mr. Blonde noted above. Plus it's really heavy.
If you really want a taller fork with more travel on a budget, look into a 160mm U-Turn Domain(so you can dial it down) or an older Z1.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
mcrumble69 said:
I'd stay away from a 05 66 on that bike too.
The axle to crown height on that fork is almost as tall as the 05 888 and would cause the same problems Mr. Blonde noted above.
It is the 150mm 66vf and from what I can find out it's only around .75 pounds heavier than the pike.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
chris_d said:
It is the 150mm 66vf and from what I can find out it's only around .75 pounds heavier than the pike.
THat year 66s were VERY tall. Look up the A-C length on Marz's site and you will find it comparable to currnt 180mm forks.

If you want to ride the type of terrain that requires 180 mm of travel, save some $$ and get a proper bike (or save $$ for new teeth). Aggressive riding with that long of a fork on your heckler WILL result in a cool 2-piece frame and most likely some significant injury to you.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Putting on too big of a fork will usually end up in a bad result at some point that you really wish it hadn't happened. Stress begins right away in the head tube and doesn't become apparent until the damage is done. Hecklers are not DH bikes, at the most light freeride.

If you really like to hit Northstar and such...the best solution is..... upgrade your Heckler to a Bullit or V-10

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
I'd limit the axle to crown @ 550mm regardless of single or DC. If I were going to run a DC fork i'd look for a Boxxer U turn or Travis 180mm DC, maybe even a Marzocchi Super T. The Boxxer will allow you to lower the fork and maintain a decent geometry. The Travis has a low a-c even though the travel is fixed. I ran a DHX coiled Heckler and thought the rear would suck @ N* - my Bullit's rear suspension suited N* nicely.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
dezul43 said:
i rode a boxxer ride on my 07 heckler and loved it. it was my first full suspension bike and raced dh, hucked, dropped, and jumped everything i could.
The OP has an 03 Hecker...VERY differnt frame!!!!!!! (still too much fork for that frame IMO, but at least it is a lot better than an XC rig like the 03 was).

·
Baba Booey!
257 Posts
I tried a Jr T on my heckler and it was all wrong. the front end becomes so heavy that it just nose dives off everything and forget about wheeling over stuff. Yeah the geometry is way off with that much fork. I have a Talas 36 and that is perfect for the heckler. I ride diablo with it, and yeah, it could use more travel and slacker angles but it does hold its own. The nice thing about an air shock is that you can tune that air spring to the conditions. I find that when I trail ride I use about 10 psi more than what is good for Diablo... I also find myself fine tuning the rear as well but thats OT. Anyway, 160mm with the a-c that the fox 36 has is about as good as it gets for the heckler IMO.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update.

Im getting a 05 bullit frame with Progressive Fifth Element Shock.
05 888rc fork with integrated stem
Using my deetracks and Hayes 9 with 8" rotors
Not sure on bars.

I think to save $ im going to run my Race Face all mountain cranks with E13 drs system.
Do I have to run a front derailer? Can i adjust it to act like a top guide without having the shifter on?

Thanks guys, You have all helped a lot!!!

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
A Bullit with a 05 888RC (Assuming that its the 203mm travel version) is going to give you problems as well. I rode a similar frame to the Bullit (Weyless 67) and even with a 170mm Fork on there (Sherman Slider) the bike felt decently balanced but anymore of a axle to crown measurement would throw it off completely.

As is the Bullit already has a pretty high Bottom Bracket height. Throwing a tall fork onto it would only make it taller and make your geo whack. Whack geo at Northstar is no good, you'll be going over the bars more often.

With that said I'd leave the Heckler the way it is. Over the years I've learned that you cannot make a non DH bike into a DH bike (That should go without saying...). Geometry is everything in my opinion, and if you really want to get into Northstar and ride fast you'll save up some money and look for a used DH rig. I'm not saying that your Heckler can't ride DH, but don't try and make other bikes not designed for DH as a all out DH rig.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts