Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am concidering a Heckler. I rode one for the first time and the first thing I noticed was the great acceleration the bike gives.The set up was a 5th element air, fox talas up front. Are you heckler owners getting this great acceleration more than with other bikes you have had?is it the set up? One theory is the rigidity of the frame.What do ya think??

·
Registered
499 Posts
Heckler has a quick/snappy feel...

I just assembled a new Heckler for myself 2 weeks ago, the "hype" is true. The Heckler is a blast to ride, even when built on the heavy side (30lbs+) it doesn't feel sluggish. No doubt the newer shocks help the frame design, I went with DHX Air and am very impressed. I've had more sophisticated full suspension frames but the Hecker just "feels" great for aggressive XC/trail/all mountain riding.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
It accelerates very quickly. Nearly as quick as my SS dare I say. For me, it seems that my fork is the fault for hard accelerations. The Z1 bobs way too much for my taste. With an air shock, it would be even better as I am running a 5th coil.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The acceleration is due to the design of the bike. It's a high single pivot. When you pedal, the suspension wants to extend. That keeps the rear from squating and gives that great feeling of acceleration.

There are also negative traits to a high single pivot frame.... as there are with all suspension styles. All suspension types have pluses and minuses. You have to decide what works best for you. In the Hecklers case, the rear suspension tends to stiffen when you hit the rear brake... causing the rear to skip.

Personally, I think that the Heckler is one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been riding my Heckler for 16 months now here on the West Coast of B.C.
It still amazes me every time I clear very technical uphills with little effort.
If you want a fast bike try some kevlar Kenda tires ( 2.0-2.2 Karmas) set up with Mavic
XC717 or XC719 rims.
During the Winter months a heavier wheelset is used with 2.35-2.5 tires and the snappy acceleration is obviously reduced but makes it up for improved traction.

It will put a grin on your face everytime you ride the bike up or downhill ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
682 Posts
yagimax said:
I've been riding my Heckler for 16 months now here on the West Coast of B.C.
It still amazes me every time I clear very technical uphills with little effort.
If you want a fast bike try some kevlar Kenda tires ( 2.0-2.2 Karmas) set up with Mavic
XC717 or XC719 rims.
During the Winter months a heavier wheelset is used with 2.35-2.5 tires and the snappy acceleration is obviously reduced but makes it up for improved traction.

It will put a grin on your face everytime you ride the bike up or downhill ! :thumbsup:
You speak the Gospel on the wheels/ tires...I just went from 2.25 Trailbears on XC/717, XT's & Stans to Panaracer Fire FR 2.4's on F219's, XT's, and Stans. My Heckler went from being a rocket to a tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.