Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud, new owner of a 2004 Heckler with a 5th Element coil shock. I have the largest recommended spring - 350 lbs. My sag adjustment is all the way firm. According to this site: http://www.tftunedshox.com/springcalc.htm, I should be running a 500 lbs+ spring for my weight of 230lbs.

Some shock questions:
1) What spring should I be using? Where can I get one?
2) Is it worth getting the shock modified for 2.25" stroke (or buy a new shock)? Who does this work?
3) How do I know when I need a rebuild/replacement. The shock isn't leaking oil, but then it is used and may be dry. Should I just check for smooth operation with damping in both directions with the spring removed?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is that with gear on?

Your weight is 230 with gear. A 350 on a 5th should work for you. A 500 would be way to high. I have one with a 350. I weigh @215, 230 w/gear. That works well with a 350lb spring.

I run mine with the air chamber all the way open. 125 psi in the piggy back. The begining of stroke full open and the end of strock about 1.5 turns out. Rebound is up to you.
You can adjust sag a little by adjusting the spring tension but it is better if you can leave that as little as possible,
There you go for a start.

Have it serviced when it blows oil or one of the damping circuits goes bad. You will know. Trust me.

Go ride it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey I might be interested in a trade if you are. I just got a heckler but it came with a 375/400 spring and I think I may need a 350. I havent had a chance to play with the settings yet so I may be able to get it to feel right, but if not I'd be game to swap springs with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.