Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you lose some travel with the shorter stroke and I know most people probably prefer to have as much travel as possible, but I would like to hear from Heckler owners who have ridden their bikes with both a 2" & 2.25" shock stroke. What were your impressions between the two when riding trails that did not require max travel? Did the bike feel more efficient with the 2" stroke or was there no difference? I am asking because I have an 06' frame coming with the DHX Air and I am considering selling it and getting a PUSH'd Rp23 and not sure if I want the 2" or 2.25" stroke. I think 130mm would be more than enough for the types of trails I ride plus there is allot of conflicting opinions on the DHX Air and I am not really one that likes to mess with too many settings. I sent a message asking this same question to PUSH but have not had any response. Thanks.

Also, I have heard rumors that the 07" DHX Air has a smaller volume canister. Can anyone confirm this? Not sure yet what year model will be on my bike.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also heard(read) that about the 07 DHX air. I'm interested if this can be confirmed as well.

On the stroke/travel issue, my opinion is more is better;) . Though, if you can honestly say to yourself you don't need that extra .6" of travel, and you rather choose a more pedal efficient, over a plush ride, than so be it. I don't think it's that huge of a night, and day difference. I might suggest letting what fork your running up front contibute to the deciding factor, thus keeping your suspension possibly more balanced. Once again, not a huge deal if it's only a 1/2" or so, either way. Your riding style ultimately should play a contibuting factor too.

You can always have Push mod. your shock that 1/4" either way down the road(next service/rebuild) I think. If that's the route you want to take.

·
Solo Bici Magazine Spain
3 Posts
True

It is not new that FOX is offering as a request by some bicycle brands I think what you say it is smaller volume air chamber. A smaller air chamber basically avoids using too much travel too soon, so the rear suspension ramps up quicker than with the high volume air chamber used to date on DHX Airs. On some particular designs like the Heckler which is commonly known as "falling rate", using in line shocks is a good idea or, in this case, DHX Air with the smaller air chamber to get the proper progressiveness the system lacks. This way you will not have to run too much air pressure or run the progressiveness adjuster fully in. On 2,0" or 2,25" stroke it is more on a personal decision. I have been using a Heckler for nearly 2 years now and to tell you the truth I have tested nearly everything I could. I'd say if you are using a Lyrik up front or a 36 from Fox or All Mt from Marzocchi or Nixon, stick with the DHX Air slim air chamber 2,25" stroke. The geometry is also important here. I am currently testing a RP23 stadard 7,875x2,0" and using a '07 TALAS 140 mm which is a good combination for an All Mt Heckler for all day pedaling. It is just an opinion, regards from Spain!!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I got my Heckler in 02, with a Progressive 5th coil 2" stroke, later upgraded the same shock to a 2.25" stroke. Personally I think you're losing out just running an air shock on the bike, period. There was a slight difference in travel, but I'd be hard pressed during any one ride to tell you that there was a noticeable or measureable difference, especially in pedaling efficiency, it was more a confidence inspiring difference than an empirical one. YMMV.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I am just way over thinking all this. But I did have another idea, maybe I will just get the bike together and actually ride it before making a decision if anything needs to be changed. Thanks again.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you go with the RP-23 with the 2.25 stroke, you get the best of both worlds with the 5.7" travel and the open and 3 levels of ProPedal in one shock at the flick of a lever and the twist of a knob. I've run 2.0 and 2.25 and I personally like that extra cush with the tunability of 3 levels of ProPedal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.