Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my new stem. took about 40 hours but i gotter done. she's the first. many more to follow.

if anyone cares: .065", 4130 for all tubes. fillet brazed with lfb. 87mm x 5 deg.

it just so happens that i'm on vacation starting friday. her maiden voyage will be in fruita on sat.

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
Nice work! I hope you plan on keeping it raw looking with a clearcoat. Be a shame to paint over your handy work.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
ssissy said:
my new stem. took about 40 hours but i gotter done. she's the first. many more to follow.

if anyone cares: .065", 4130 for all tubes. fillet brazed with lfb. 87mm x 5 deg.

it just so happens that i'm on vacation starting friday. her maiden voyage will be in fruita on sat.
wow. that's impressive!
there was something in the latest dirt rag about a kit to braze your own lugged stem. you could try that next!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Nice work dude...

So the one on the bench is mine eh!? Psyched. You must be pretty durned happy with your vacation. I like your 'light-bulb' lightweight technique...dude, you brazing is unstoppable!

·
Registered
16,017 Posts
ssissy said:

How did you mount the riser bar, since the stem doesn't have a removeable face plate?

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
what he said...

Nat said:
How did you mount the riser bar, since the stem doesn't have a removeable face plate?
can you make your stems with a removeable, 4 bolt faceplate? then we can buy them from you and use them with our Jones H-bars. :D

your work looks tidy and right on the money. i might even powder coat it to match/contrast my bike's PC! let us know!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks

[/QUOTE]QUOTE]Nice work! I hope you plan on keeping it raw looking with a clearcoat. Be a shame to paint over your handy work.[/QUOTE]

thanks. there's no clearcoat though. just a coat of grease to keep it from rusting for now. once i get a pile of em done and a frame and fork or two i'll powder coat them all at the same time.

Quote:
there was something in the latest dirt rag about a kit to braze your own lugged stem. you could try that next!

i'm on it. the kit has stainless steel lugs. stainless is tricky to braze because of its "stainless" qualities. but i'm going to give her a go.

chrome is a good idea. maybe have it "blued" like a gun barrel.

Quote:
JAK So the one on the bench is mine eh!? Psyched. You must be pretty durned happy with your vacation. I like your 'light-bulb' lightweight technique...dude, you brazing is unstoppable!

the one on the bench is 80x10. i'll get you a 90x10. i have to work out some design issues. like nat elluded to its not easy getting risers through the wide non removeable face plate. the next 3 will either have 2 or 4 bolt removeable face plates or a narrower one bolt pinch style. if your gonna use flat bars its a non issue. the "light bulb"/skull needs some work.

nat, i used a big screwdriver and grease. not a recomended practice.

Quote:
can you make your stems with a removeable, 4 bolt faceplate? then we can buy them from you and use them with our Jones H-bars.

yep. i'm as slow at building as i am at riding though. i wonder if i could braze somthing like an h bar? gotta check patent law on that.

thanks all for the possitive vibe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
how do you do your finish work?

I've got a frame sitting at home right now that has the brazing done, but the finishing not yet done and I"m always looking for a better approach.

The stem looks great by the way, very impressive.

YO MAMA

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finishing

chequama mama, i used files and emory paper. if i had a buffing wheel i'd have used that at the end to get it to a mirror finish. over the next few months i'll be accumulating more tools. this stem and probably the next 6 or so will be "prototypes", so a perfect finish is not as important to me as strength and the general design for the time being.

did you use a comercialy available fixture for your frame?

what kind of drop-outs, tubes and what not did you use? type of rod?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I didn't actually do a whole frame, just a do-it-yourself ebb conversion, so I don't have a whole frame worth of brazing to clean up, just the bottom bracket.
you can read about the whole thing here
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=46041

I didn't get the job that I was applying for, so I'll be back home in Wisconsin for the summer, and after I get my buddy to braze a bunch more brass on there (because I'm not satisfied yet with how the brazing looks), I should have time to go back through and file it down and make it pretty.

The brazing rod we used was just basic flux-coated bronze rod (in the narrower size) from the hardware store
YO MAMA

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
ssissy said:
nat, i used a big screwdriver and grease. not a recomended practice.
If you haven't tried it already, use a penny, put it in the slot, then feed the bolts through the threaded side. As you screw them in, they bottom out on the penny, the clamp opens up gently, and there is much less swearing involved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts