Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going to a family friends cabin in the area recently. I have looked at pretty much every app i can find and am not finding a ton of rides. I have found a few trails that are off behind the main city park (can't think of the road off hand). Anyone know any good trails to ride in the area without having to drive back towards Payson to far?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I haven't found anything there either. As J_Bone mentioned Showlow/Pine top is a good option. Also you could head back west a little bit and hit the Carr Lake Trails (pretty tame and got hit pretty hard with logging) or maybe the Cabin Loops. Both keep you above the rim.

·
....just cruisin through
152 Posts
I am up in Heber a few times a year. Two years ago I did the Military Sinkhole Trail from FR300 down the rim to Highline Trail which spits you out in Christopher Creek. There are some sandstone rock formations at the 260 TH that are fun to play around on. I did this ride as a shuttle getting dropped off at Military Sinkhole TH and picked up in Christopher Creek. The Military Sinkhole Trail is steep. And rocky. Much smoother/flowy on the Highline Trail between 260 TH and Christopher Creek. I think an out and back on the Highline Trail would be fun. I would not want to climb back up Military Sinkhole.

Not in Heber proper, so you will need to drive, but closer than Payson and a good ride!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bummer, i saw the highline trail on a few maps but its not particularly close. Still not as far as Payson. I'm surprised there isn't more in the area, i figured there would at least be lots of hiking trails, but even that is scarce

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Just curious.... how close does a trail system have to be before it's worth riding?

I had to look where Heber is, you've got decent trails 20min away in either direction. At the very least you could hit either system on the way there or the way home. That'll get you two rides with no extra driving. Beyond that I'd start exploring nearby forest roads. Never know, you might find the locals' secret stash of singletrack that no one's willing to post online. Or start digging. : )

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
260 over to and down 285 (earlier is better than later) then back up 33 and back over on highline. Did this in the spring and it was fantastic. And like mentioned above, there’s some sedona slick rock along the way, as well as amazing Tahoe forest on 285.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious.... how close does a trail system have to be before it's worth riding?

I had to look where Heber is, you've got decent trails 20min away in either direction. At the very least you could hit either system on the way there or the way home. That'll get you two rides with no extra driving. Beyond that I'd start exploring nearby forest roads. Never know, you might find the locals' secret stash of singletrack that no one's willing to post online. Or start digging. : )
Going west from Heber, the closest thing on the maps is 30-40 minutes. Looks like there is some trail systems to the East that are about 20 minutes out. I didn't see much info on those until GSNED posted them however. Almost none of the trails on any map seem to be listed/frequently used for biking. That is specifically why i asked.

If you have ever been to Heber, its surrounded by national forest. I expected there would be something in the immediate area that would save me almost an hour, round trip, of driving

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.