Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a real weight weenie but wanted to know weights of other 29ers out there. My Surly KM XL frame and parts built as a SS is around 28 lb. I do have some lighter weight parts but not many. Surly wheels, front disc and non disc rear. I moved from a Large to XL frame and seems to be a good difference in weight. What do the other 29ers come in at? Send the pics too.

·
Old School
75 Posts
XL GF X-cal 28.5lbs

Bone stock, with cage and pump. Someone did a bit by bit breakdown on the weight for a large 05 GF Xcal a few weeks ago. Theirs came out 0.3 lbs heavier( :confused: ).
lucky me :cool:

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
heavy

Mine's more than those, but I never notice the weight. Even when I'm hefting the Stately Pleasure Bike onto the rack all I notice is the kick ass paint!

Padre, you need a lighter bike or you'll never win a race!

-M

Attachments

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
cottonball said:
I'm not a real weight weenie but wanted to know weights of other 29ers out there.
Take claimed weights with a golf-ball sized grain of weight.

I don't have an accurate scale, so this is a total guess, but I'm thinking my new Fisher 292 is coming in at around 27 pounds or so. That's with ~$1500 in upgrades over stock. Parts not chosen for light weight per se, but as a good balance between function, weight, and bling.

Just took physical possession of the completed bike tonight, too dark for photo's...will have it up tomorrow evening.

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
KM SS Weigh-in

My medium KM weighed in at 22.8 lbs, builts as an SS. I've since swapped the paul brakes for a set of Magura discs, so it's probably a solid 23.5 now, but it's still lighter than my FS 26er. That's with real tires too, Bonti ACX's. The rest of the build is pretty nice too, accumulated over several bikes:

KM frame/fork (it is black, more slimming)
King HS
Nuke Proof Stem
Syncros Riser
Syncros Revolutions 180's with 30t surly ring
White Industries Ti BB (118mm)
ACS Claws 16t freewheel
Spot disc rear, REAL disc front, Salsa DelGados, 15g with alloy nipples
Bonti ACX tires, no name tubes
Thomson Post
Specialized Prolong saddle
ODI Lock-on grips
Candy SL's
Magura Louise FR's 7" F 6" R rotors.

etc.

No pics though, have to fix that.

Plum

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
My Karate Monkey SS 20" is about 25 lbs, carbon bars, carbon seatpost, etc. My new Lenz Leviathan XL is about 26 lbs, alot of high end stuff, $$$.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
15" karate monkey is about 24 lbs. Cheap parts, fairly heavy rims, a decent mix of nicer stuff. It is SS so that helps a bunch.

The Ito

·
Registered
319 Posts
fat--no bling

I think my XL Mt Tam coming in at 30 lbs flat on one of those stands that has the built in scales. that was with all of its gears, 1 full water bottle, seatback pack with tube, pump, coupla co2s and crankbros tool, and set of KLaws and probably some mud.
other build specs

Marz Marathon SL
Bonti cockpit except easton monkey bars (really wide)
King HS
XT cranks & front & cassette (760)
XTR rear (950) and chain
King hubs with Salsa up front & maverick rear
avid mechs
berserkr saddle

Attachments

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Both of my SSs are 27-ish

My 16" KM's initial SS build was just a hair over 27 lb, with Avid 185mm discs, Delgado X rims laced to XT disc hubs, Kenda Klaws, standard tubes, Telluride saddle, Thudbuster seatpost, ATAC alium pedals, dual cogs and chainrings, and generic-weight stem, bar and bar ends. In other words, NOT light parts. Someone with different parts preferences could easily knock the weight down to 24-25 pounds without spending much money at all.

I haven't weighed my new Vulture, but it feels pretty close -- probably still at least 26 lb -- and with mostly similar parts to my original KM build, it should.

·
2,821 Posts
My IF w/ reba is 29.25 pounds on my digital scale as of last night. That is including BigAir co2, saddle bag containing extra tube/levers/multitool, and air in the tires.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lighter 29

After weight in the KM at 28 bl. I started looking at what I could change. First the RS susp. seat post was changed to a Bontrager post, I was trying out a set of 180 cranks and am going back to 175mm, the big one should be the WTB tires to Bontragers, a .2 lb. difference per tire on my scale. I use a disc on front and with a Reba I can't go back to v brakes on the front which I would after the rainy season is over but there would be around a lb. Thanks for all the input, the change dropped a little over a pound without spending any money just other parts I had bought in the past.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
cottonball said:
I'm not a real weight weenie but wanted to know weights of other 29ers out there. My Surly KM XL frame and parts built as a SS is around 28 lb. I do have some lighter weight parts but not many. Surly wheels, front disc and non disc rear. I moved from a Large to XL frame and seems to be a good difference in weight. What do the other 29ers come in at? Send the pics too.
Surly XL Karate Monkey actually gained weight recently as I added a Thudbuster seatpost to bring it up to 28 pounds (and that includes a lot of $$$ parts). Oh, I can hardly wait for the new SRAM rear cassette since it will go so well with my Coleman Stove theme of green and red....

2004 XL Sugar 293 with pricey wheelset comes in at 28.5 pounds.

Attachments

·
i like to bicycle
335 Posts

my gear-ey rigid soulcraft 29er came in at 24.5lbs with nano's, tubes, 747's, king/bonti wheels, XT/XTR, avid mech disks, no carbon anything and a bottle cage. not sure what my SS weighs but surely a bit less.

·
Where's Toto?
1,188 Posts
Look inward grasshopper...and lose the love handles

Extra light Chris King/Salsa/DT wheels...1500gm....$500

Alien Carbon Post...170gm...$120

IF Custom Titanium frame...3lbs...$3000

Moving from 4th to 3rd in the Beginners class....priceless

On the other hand, unless you're already one of those anorexic types, lose 15lbs off the old belly and you'll not only save on the food bill along the way, but you'll probably see an even bigger jump in the placings at the races....

....and don't forget the helium in the tires.

·
Registered
138 Posts
31 lbs

I worked out my 2004 292 according to the WW listing and came up with 30.1 lbs
This is stock except for:
Saddle ->Koobi SI gel
Pedals->EB 2002 model
Grips-> ODI type
Bar ends->CC Ergo II
so it is about 3/4 lbs over stock.
I then took it to the store and weigh it on the store scale. It came up at 31.1 lbs
including a pump, bottle cage, Polar cyclecomp+clamp+speed sensor. I figure all
the extras are about 1 lbs so the sum up according to WW is pretty good.
Anyhow when I ride there is the added weight of the saddle bag with a slimed tube and multitool, my hydrapack and, oh yes, my own 185 lbs which I still need to accelerate
at all times. So the cheapest way for me to drop the weight by 5 lbs is to take less water
and a good [email protected] just prior to riding.

On very short races I strip the bike off the saddle bag, water cage and ergo barends.
On long races I take only a small water bottle to help down the Hammer gel
and rehydrate at the water stations. If I race in a very dry area I take the hydrapack
so I can sip some water at all times regardless of the extra weight.

It isn't the guy with the lightest bike or the one that took less water that wins the race,
it's the guy that gets to the finish line first.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
endure26 said:
Extra light Chris King/Salsa/DT wheels...1500gm....$500

Alien Carbon Post...170gm...$120

IF Custom Titanium frame...3lbs...$3000

Moving from 4th to 3rd in the Beginners class....priceless
holy crap man...that's the best post in a long time...i freakin spew'd through my nose on that one!!! Most profoundly true thing I've read in a long time...applies to me completely, except the class is typically Clysdale, not beginner...I aspire to beginner class...

ps: i've owned that wheelset a couple times over, it's closer to 1700, i think.

·
Registered
665 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Surly XL Karate Monkey actually gained weight recently as I added a Thudbuster seatpost to bring it up to 28 pounds (and that includes a lot of $$$ parts). Oh, I can hardly wait for the new SRAM rear cassette since it will go so well with my Coleman Stove theme of green and red....

2004 XL Sugar 293 with pricey wheelset comes in at 28.5 pounds.
Bruce,

What kind of bling wheelset are you running? I remember you used to have Speedcities on that bike right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.