Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Trek 8500 that I race pretty seriously and I know it's not lightest bike in the world but I feel like it's pretty competitive. I was just wondering if anybody knows any fairly inexpensive ways of getting it lighter. I know I just made some changes that made it heavier but I really could n't afford the higher end parts. I think it weighs about 24.5 lbs right now.

Frame: 17.5" ZR 9000
Fork: Fox Float 80 r (I know a SID would be lighter but I really like my Fox fork)
Wheels: 2002 Mavic Crossmax
Tires: Hutchinson Tubeless Mosquito
Cranks: Shimano XT
Pedals: CB Candy
Rear and Fron Derails: Shimano XT (rear was XTR but had to replace with the cheaper one)
Brake/Shift Levers: Shimano XT
Brakes: Avid Single Digit 5
Cassette: XT (but I think I am replacing it with Sram PG 970 that I just won in a race because the old one is shot)
Bars: Bontrager Race
Stem: Bontrager Race (I was thinking of changing these both to Easton, Would that make a big difference?)
Grips: Whatever Trek puts on stock (I was thinking changing these as well, any suggestions?)
Saddle: Fuji Road Bike Seat with Ty rails (its pretty light and stiff)

Thanks for anybody's help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
pedals to normal eggs, wheelset to something with 717/240s or something lighter, bars to ec90 or something, tubes to stans, and grips to foam...... and seatpost? you didn't say...

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
My 17.5 8000 01 is 24.75lb with hayes disk brakes

the bonty bars are heavy. the stem is heavy

My spec is

rolf disk wheels (quite heavy)
paneracer fire xc 2.1 tires
ec90 cnt riser
flite ti saddle
bonty seat post (heavy)
bonty stem (heavy)
tubes are 130g ish each
xt holotech 1 crank
xt BB
xt shifters
xt cassette
xt r derailure
deore fderailure
pc89 chain
original headset
pace rc36 forks (just under 1.6kg)
odi lock on grips
crank bros eggies (stainless I think)

I would suggest what I want to do and get a Ritchy WCS or race face dues stem and get a lighter seatpost. I think the Thomson and the ec70 are about the same weight for the 31.6mm diameter.

Stu

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.