Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like riding mountain bikes but wanted to get more adventurous so I sold my Specialized Hardrock and am looking to buy a xc or full mountain full suspension. I weigh 275 (and dropping) My budget is around $1,500.00 any suggestions on a good solid bike that can handle my weight for my budget. I don't mind upgrading parts later on just something to get me started

· Registered
89 Posts
Chainlove.com has had the titus racer x on sale for under half price at $1599, but I am certainly not the guy to ask about what bike is right for you. Others can speak to whether that is a good bike and deal for you, I just thought it is a lot of bike for the price.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
In that price range, a few of the guys in our club ride a Giant Trance. You might try looking for last years x3, if you think it would be a good fit for you and your trails.

They're not quite an "all-mountain" bike, but the suspension soaks up the rough stuff great. Some of the guys have to keep the shock a little stiffer for jumps.

In the end, a good recommendation depends on how you ride. If you share some more details of your favorite trails, you'll get better recommendations.

· Registered
10,107 Posts
the trance is too high ratio for a 275lbs rider. you'd have to run so much pressure that the rebound and compression circuits wouldnt stand a chance.

you need to look specifically for a lower ratio bike.. this is the relation between shock travel and wheel travel. a bike like the trance has a 38mm stroke shock and gets 107mm of travel out of it. 2.8:1! you want something under 2.5:1. a 100mm travel bike with a standard sized 7.875x2.0 shock is 2.0:1.. might have to look towards 125mm bikes for a 2.5 ratio. still reasonable, just keep it around 2.5 or less. this does unfortunately rule out some bikes, but theres still plenty that work.

id plan on getting some GOOD quality wheels built for whatever you're going to ride. this doesnt mean heavy boatanchors, but quality rims with quality hubs laced up by someone who knows how to build a proper wheel (or do it yourself, its not too hard to learn!). this is critical.

i dont think any company warranties breakage.. seems like everyone offers a defect warranty, but hammering a frame to death isnt a defect. MANY companies will stand behind their product and warranty abused and broken frames nearly without question, but its not a no if-ands-or-buts unconditional warranty.

· thread killer
753 Posts
Come on over to the Clydesdales section of the forum. We'll get you sorted out. This question come up all the time just scroll and find the information you're looking for.

As for a bike I would recommend a Kona. Good quality and almost always over built.
I love my Heckler. You might find a used one in your price range.

· Underskilled
5,010 Posts
+1 on Clyde forum

Skinnies don't always understand what is required.

For a quick answer.
Kona Hoss (if you can find one) is designed for Clydes
Kona Coiler - very strong bike, easy on the rider and fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.