Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a rider weighing 200-220 pounds destroy an all mountain bike even while riding as it was intended (rough trails, a few drops 4ft, jumps etc). Would a freeride bike be better suited for heavier riders doing 'all mountain' type stuff??

·
Probably drunk right now
6,750 Posts
Sure...

tim_54321 said:
Would a rider weighing 200-220 pounds destroy an all mountain bike even while riding as it was intended (rough trails, a few drops 4ft, jumps etc). Would a freeride bike be better suited for heavier riders doing 'all mountain' type stuff??
So would a 150 pound rider, if the rider's technique was poor. For that matter, a FR bike would be destroyed too.

But if your technique is moderate to good, then you shouldn't have any problem with durability on an all mountain type bike.

You'll probably get some better advice from heavier riders over in the Clydesdale Forum.

Ken

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Hard to say

I guess it would depend on what specific bike you're talking about. As my own rule of thumb, I would say it's not a bad idea for a clyde to buy beefier frames and components than what our lighter-weight conterparts might buy for the same intended type of riding.

Bob

·
Banned
226 Posts
tim_54321 said:
I would say "no". I weigh 236 and ride a Heckler and it holds up fine. What is a Heckler classified as?

·
AndyFSR
85 Posts
Absolutely...but

I weigh about 210lbs (maybe more sometimes) with gear on.
I ride a 2003 Specialized Enduro and have had no issues with the bike. I ride hard, but am considered a smooth rider. I jump and blast technical sections.
So yes a freeride bike could be better but depending on your style an all mountain could serve you just fine.
Just my $.02.

tim_54321 said:

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
If poor riding techniques are used eventually even a heavy duty frame will fail. But I think it would give an extra measure of duability.

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
It depends on what kind of rider you are. If your are using it for fun Downiville type riding then you should be ok. If you use it for big drops Northstar type stuff go BIG.

·
Registered
212 Posts
220 lbs. on a Gary Fisher Tassajara

I take the occasional 3-4 foot drop, and my used bike still feels solid after I've ridden it for a season. The guy I bought it from was even bigger than me.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
230lbs on a Specialized Stumpy

I disagree with some of the previous riders. I'am not light and ride fairly smoothly. I seem to go through bikes/parts quicker than the people I ride with(they generally weigh about 150-185lbs). I've broke frames, rims, hubs, front/rear derailleurs, crankarms, etc., even stuff on my road bike. I've learned (10+ years of riding)that this is something that I got to live with.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
An all-mountain bike is plenty strong for a 200-220 pound rider on all-mountain trails. If your riding style is significantly more abusive than average, a freeride bike will suit you better.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
230lbs on a Specialized Stumpy

I disagree with some of the previous riders. I'am not light and ride fairly smoothly. I seem to go through bikes/parts quicker than the people I ride with(they generally weigh about 150-185lbs). I've broke frames, rims, hubs, front/rear derailleurs, crankarms, etc., even stuff on my road bike. I've learned (10+ years of riding)that this is something that I got to live with.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think most will hold up, just don't get too caught up in hanging light weight parts all over it. I have had several frames fail (6'3", 210 w/ gear), but it has always been from stress cracks that developed over time. I used to destroy cranks and the old square taper b/brackets, but have rarely trashed my rims.
I currently use a Gemini as my trail bike, but truthfully it is overkill. I think a Heckler or other well buit 5-6" travel trail bike would be perfect. That being said, the Gemini is like an anvil, it may be heavy but it takes beating.

·
Registered
105 Posts
210 on a prophet with no problems

I'm just over 200 naked, so maybe 210 or so with gear and water. Been riding my Prophet hard - just like I ride my KTM! I don't think I have good technique and the only times I'm smooth is when I'm picking myself up from a crash. No problems yet with the bike!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts