Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am putting a woodstove in mine as I can get wood for free . If you dont have acess to free wood I would look at a good kerosene heater . With some cleanburn they work well and have very little odor .

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
The woodstove is not a bad idea if you have the wood available.

If the garage is not insulated, an infared heater, electic or gas.

Infared heats up whatever it's pointed at, not the air. Pick the style that fits your budget and set it up pointing at the work area.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Without heat my tools and bikes get too cold to be worked on / handled...I have a large gas heater and fan in my garage / shop that gets things heated up pretty quickly.

An infrared heater is an excellent choice as it's heats objects and not the air and gets things warmed up really quickly.

My new(free) furnace is en route so I'll have a small and more efficient forced air system with a thermostat so I can keep the temps set at just above freezing and then dial things up when I'm working.

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
I use a kerosene heater, it's a little stinky at times, but it works well if you have proper ventalition. As long as your not wrenching in your good clothes you'll be fine.

Fire her up outside the garage, after a few mintes I pull her into the garage and she is good to go. Then drag her out when I shut it off, otherwise it will stink like high hell in the morning.

·
Emu's Taste Like Chicken
157 Posts
I've got one of the two buner infrared propane heaters. 22x22 garage w/ 12' ceilings. Ds a pretty good job of holding in the mid 50' when it is in the 20's outside. I still need to insulate the attic, but if it holds 50, I am sure it will do even better. For me atleast, this was the easiest/least expensive route.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Themal Board

I know this is likely moe than you wanted to know, but I have been looking into this stuff or a job. You lay out thermal board on top of the slab. Its a pocessed wood poduct, like OSB, with channels for PEX tubing, then lay som kind of floating floor or even real hardwood over the entire thing.. You use a heat exchanger to collect heat fom you domestic water heater, and BANG.. Hydronically heated floors. If you have a 400 square foot garage, it would be about 2,500-3,000 to do the whole thing, which will pay for itself over the years while you are not buying 100 dollar heaters and paying high gas or electric bills.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use one of those 110V oil filled radiators to keep the edge off and the moisture down. Woodstove is probably your best bet unless the space in insulated. Then you might want to look into a Modine Hot Dog.
Heated slab would be my first choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a way to increase the glass on the south-facing wall? That, coupled with insulation on the rest of the garage, might bring enough solar in to keep it comfortable. Or to reduce the load on your heating bill anyway.

Modify the eave angle such that in the summer, the sunlight is at too high of an angle to heat the garage.

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
Stupendous Man said:
You could just leave your car running, and let the exhaust warm the garage :p
I actually *almost* do this -- If I plan on working in the garage when I come home from work, I be sure to do it first thing. By the time I park, go inside and change and come back out, the car has warmed my garage to a comfortable temp. Of course I shut the car off when I come home. :)

On another note I was thinking of picking up one of the oil-filled electric heaters as well, I've used them indoors and they work very well, expecially in small spaces like a 1-car garage.

-pete

·
WWYD?
1,604 Posts
I sealed the garage door with a thick weatherstripping especially made for it, then weather stripped everything else and added a tightweave carpet and pad in the work area. Didn't really make the garage warmer but it keeps it from being drafty and is comfy on the feet. I'm too cheap to use a heater but I wear wool fingerless gloves--works even under disposable gloves too. And I wear a wool sweater and a cheap pair of snowboard cargo pants. The side pockets can hold a lot of tools.

·
Registered
47 Posts
pahearn said:
I actually *almost* do this -- If I plan on working in the garage when I come home from work, I be sure to do it first thing. By the time I park, go inside and change and come back out, the car has warmed my garage to a comfortable temp. Of course I shut the car off when I come home. :)
Same here. I share the garage with my wife's car, so I just wait until she comes back from where ever, and the garage stays nice and toasty for quite a while. My motorcycle also does the job nicely as well. Additionally, there's a propane heater but I've only used it once or twice.

Az

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.