Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My cup runneth over
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any recommendations for battery-powered heated socks? I saw TS' multi-layered approach which probably works best in cold/wet conditions - anyone use battery powered socks for cold/dry? There are a ton of internet options...

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
No idea on the socks, but a friend of mine with old, frost bitten toes, and my wife with just plain cold toes, both use those use those chemical heat packs for feet. They are pretty thin, pretty cheap, and go on top of the sock with a little built-in self-adhesive that keeps them in place while you're putting on your shoes or ski boots.

Seems a lot less annoying than battery-powered socks.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
smart wool light or medium ski socks depending on how tight yer shoes are. perfection with a winter riding shoe like my gaerne's. havent needed heated inserts yet and we ride in 0 deg snow covered trails at times.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Hey Cactus....

It is going to be down in the high 60's :eek: the next couple of days, where can I find some heavy winter gear like socks and jackets and stuff????????? :confused:

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
I haven't tried electric socks but regularly use Grabbers Feet Warmers inside my Lake MXZ-300 shoes in addition to a set or two of wool socks when things get cold.
The Feet warmers work great for about 4 hours and can be had for around $2/pair if bought in bulk.

I considered using battery powered electric footbeds in my bike shoes like I use in my ski boots but I figured those little wires would get snagged pretty easily while riding.

And yes. I have a major problem with cold feet.

·
My cup runneth over
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used the chemical warmers a lot and sometimes they just barely do the job with lite bike shoes. I thought the heated socks might do a better job in 20 degrees or less. Seems like I am going to have to be the guinea-pig. :)

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
rmac said:
I have used the chemical warmers a lot and sometimes they just barely do the job with lite bike shoes. I thought the heated socks might do a better job in 20 degrees or less. Seems like I am going to have to be the guinea-pig. :)
There's your problem.
Lite bike shoes.

I don't care what you put in them. If you're using a full mesh summer shoe in 20 deg temps then you're gonna be cold. First consider investing in a pair of full coverage winter shoes like the Lakes. At the very least, get $30 full face neoprene booties from performance.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
There's your problem.
Lite bike shoes.

I don't care what you put in them. If you're using a full mesh summer shoe in 20 deg temps then you're gonna be cold. First consider investing in a pair of full coverage winter shoes like the Lakes. At the very least, get $30 full face neoprene booties from performance.
yepper, I bought these for the winter and to have a beefier trail shoe for more techy rides, I wear standard ski wool socks and these things have been great so far including a snow ride with temps in the teens and hiking thru 6-8" of snow.

·
My cup runneth over
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both my 'lite' shoes have split across the sole so new shoes were already on the shopping list... Those in rroeder's post look nice.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate recommending them, you can use them next season too. I have some booties for my Sidi's but so far this winter I've only used these for our MB rides, the booties can get torn up if your off the bike at all, which mine already are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts