Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
A friend of mine ( who is a tough ass State Cop) has some that have the little battery case around the ankle. He swears by them with lighter weight cold weather race shoes

·
Registered
250 Posts
My toes get cold very easily and I couldn't do much winter riding without an active heat source. I've been using Hotronic e4 warmers for a few years. Keeping the toes warm helps keep circulation from shutting down. There is a definitely hot spot in the middle of these pads, so I'm probably going to shift them outward a bit.

No remote, but I clip the battery packs to my boots and can reach down while riding to change the heat setting. Strap on the Wolvhammers makes a convenient place to hang the battery.

edit: The kit comes with pads, and you use them with whatever insoles you have.

bIMG_1007.JPG

bIMG_1029.JPG

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
My GF uses an older style heated insole and heated glove skiing. She has a medical condition that results in poor circulation to the extremities. They work well for her.

The concept is sound.

We haven't tried this new technology.

·
Registered
14,356 Posts
Yup. I didn't bother mentioning since I figured the specific condition didn't matter.

She had an "attack" or acute episode early this summer on an early morning tandem ride. Doesn't look like much fun. :(

Although it can get better as you age. Her mother's condition seems to have improved based on anecdotal evidence, but she's not a fatbiker so it's also possible she just isn't exposing herself to cold as much as she did when she was younger.

I'm happy to ride sand in Baja so her being cold sensitive doesn't phase me! ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
But then.. DIY anyone?
I actually have a set of motorcycle grip heating elements. I bet I could build a battery pack for not too expensive. Makes me wonder how hard it would be to get elements like the ones they use. A quick google search shows they are made, but I can't seem to find a distributor easily.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Grabber Toe Warmers are great.

I stick them to the top of my feet, pointing outward over my toes.

For about a dollar a ride I get warm toes. They are disposable unfortunately. Get them at Wally World. Been using them for over five years.

I have thought about battery powered insoles, but even in the long I run I doubt it would be cheaper. Then that would eventually wear out and end up in the trash anyway.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,021 Posts
I got some with the remote on the way. I've been wrapping my insoles in plastic baggies and even went so far as to put my foot in a baggie a few nights ago, it was warm though on the 3.5hr ride (27F) so it wasn't a great test, my feet were super toasty though. When the heated insoles come hopefully my toes problem will go away, like my hands one did.

·
will rant for food
3,963 Posts
I'm happy to ride sand in Baja so her being cold sensitive doesn't phase me! ;)
Right on. I used to gripe about the subpar extremity circulation I inherited, but then I somewhat recently learned of this condition.

I'll never be complaining about it again.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have Raynaud's real bad and I live in Ely MN. I have been looking into the heated insoles. I do a lot of XC skiing, I use the heat packs in my ski boots sometimes but just this year the Raynaud's has gotten worst and I'm buying the heat packs by the box and using them every day in my boots. I get the ones without the sticky stuff and I use masking tape taping them to my socks it's cheaper that way. I always ski in mittens & only use the heat packs for my hands when it's 15/f or below that temp. For the most part when I'm skiing I'm skate skiing & working hard, so I start out cold and my finger tips will go White and then it takes about 5 to 10 mins to get the blood back in my finger tips also I can not stop when I'm out skiing, when I'm done I have to get in the car and get the heat on.

I had the Lake boots but they where to small and at 35/F I could only get about a 15 to 30 mile bike ride in. So now I'm going to try this heated insole in the 45 north boot with some bear mitts to go with the new Mukluk I'm getting.

I think it's something like 1 out of 10 people that have Raynaud's Disease or Phenomenon know what it is. I have put links to what Raynaud's is up here in other post about cold weather riding so I hope this helps.
Dean.
What Is Raynaud's Disease? What Causes Raynaud's Phenomenon? - Medical News Today

·
Registered
15 Posts
they work great but the issue is power at low temperatures.
I have these Therm-ICs with
battery packs for 4 AA each.
I use them with shimano MT-91 boots.
at -15C(2F) on the 2/3 or full power they work nearly 3-4 hours
and at -20 and lower only 2 hours.

good for short rides, but not much reliable for all-day riding.
and they are pretty thick also and you should go size or two
up with boots if you plan to use them.

:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought the thermcell heated insoles for my wife last year for Christmas and they worked great for her. I decided she should not be the only one with toasty feet. The remote is super handy as they have an auto shut off when they get too warm during activity. So during a ride when your feet are getting chilly just turn them back on. They do take up a bit of space in your boots so having a size larger is a good idea. I did hav an issue with the first pair I had. The battery on one insole would not take a charge. A quick call to the Canadian importer and they sent out a new pair the same day. Great service! No problems since and at $100 each to me it was money well spent for comfy feet and a happy non complaining wife on snow rides.

·
Stubby-legged
1,306 Posts
I bought the Verso heated insole for my wife who has Raynauds. The first pair had a problem which the company took care of right away. The remote works well and the soles keep her feet warm. She removed the insoles of some Northface boots and has been using these soles with them for a couple of years now.
During the 'tween seasons she uses the chemical heat pac full soles. We do mainly 1- 1/2 hr rides. The soles will last up to 7 hrs when out of the package ( air/oxygen activated), so we put them in ziplock bags between rides.
Now we are looking for an answer for her hands. The gloves Vic linked to maybe the answer. Thanks, Vic.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I know the guy that runs this company from living in Calgary. He loved fatbikes and winter riding. I have not tried any of his heated gear.

Heated Gloves Calgary, Alberta, Canada, MotionHeat? - Heated Wear

He built a 2WD e-Pugsley for a winter bike commuter in Calgary!

Two wheel drive e-Pugsely? | The Lazy Rando Blog...
Thanks for that link. I might buy those gloves. I bought a pair of gloves last year....but the battery wire broke on the second ride and it wasn't easily repairable. The company didn't want to warranty them....so I called my credit card and they refunded my money. Too bad...because they were nice when they worked.
Don't buy these
Battery Heated Cycling Gloves with One-Button Controls | CozyWinters

1 - 20 of 28 Posts