Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hot is it out there? It's soooo hot that after my ride, I set my bike on the driveway, went inside to go eat and 30 minutes later, I hear a big POP! It sounded like a very big lightbulb exploding... The Mutanoraptor blew off the rim spilling Stans all over... My theory is that the heat of the sun on the rim melted the latex bead seal and at the same time, expanded the air within the tire causing the explosion. Chalk this one up to the "disadvantages of using non-UST tires on UST rims with Stans". Not that I'll stop using Stans (I hate goathead flats more). Oh well, it's time to experiment with a new tire anyway... Hmmm, ok, which new rubber should be the next victim?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That is bizarre. How long did you have stans in that tire? A week? It looks super fresh. You would think if heat was going to cause much problem, rim breaks would cause blow outs on long decents.

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
flipnidaho said:
How hot is it out there? It's soooo hot that after my ride, I set my bike on the driveway, went inside to go eat and 30 minutes later, I hear a big POP! It sounded like a very big lightbulb exploding... The Mutanoraptor blew off the rim spilling Stans all over... My theory is that the heat of the sun on the rim melted the latex bead seal and at the same time, expanded the air within the tire causing the explosion. Chalk this one up to the "disadvantages of using non-UST tires on UST rims with Stans". Not that I'll stop using Stans (I hate goathead flats more). Oh well, it's time to experiment with a new tire anyway... Hmmm, ok, which new rubber should be the next victim?
I vote for one of the 2 Kendas on the right! Crazy happening, eh? Moral of the story is you shouldn't be out riding in this heat. dvd's & beer in front of the AC are a lot safer...

CDB

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AlliKat said:
That is bizarre. How long did you have stans in that tire? A week? It looks super fresh. You would think if heat was going to cause much problem, rim breaks would cause blow outs on long decents.
The Stans has been there about a month. Speaking of rim brakes and rim heaet, a few months ago I was on a super long and super steep descent when I was home in the PI. At the bottom of the downhill, my tire went flat. Thinking it was a thorn or glass puncturing my tube, I went to patch it and come to find that it was an old patch job that have melted from the
heat generated by the rim and braking friction. Most of the patch was melted away. That was the first time that has ever happened to me.

I vote for one of the 2 Kendas on the right!
Ding! Ding! CBro wins. The Nevegal 2.35 DTC was in the batter's box based on your review and recommendation. I just did the install. It sealed right up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.