Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After a significant sedentary period, I've been training for about the last 5 or 6 weeks in a "base" training period, where 90% of my riding (5 hours per week) is in the 60 ~ 70% of max HR range, with some interval training (mostly 70 ~ 85%) thrown in for good measure.

In my last couple of rides I am noticing that I hit 70% right away and have some trouble knocking my HR back into the 60% range, mostly because it feels like I am riding at walking pace. My exertion level feels very low for the 70% HRM readings.

I'm wondering if this is normal and a result of being able to work harder with less perceived exertion or if I am simply hitting higher readings in my workout for some other reason that should be investigated.

Thanks,

Terry

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
i JUST started using a heart rate monitor a couple weeks ago. I noticed something similar to what you described durring a race. I went out and preroad a long hill and hit like 175 and my lungs were burning. 30 minutes later i went up the same hill and hit 185 with the same or less amount of pain. the hill was right at the beginning of the race too so there werent really too many other factors involved.

BTW, whats the best way to figure out my max heart rate? the highest i've seen is 185 durring a race and i think i could have pushed it higher if needed at that time. Other than that, the highest i've seen is 175 and my average is like 165-170 when i'm climbing or something. Shouldnt my max heart rate be like 195 since i'm only 25? I've only seen it over 180 once and i ride single speed 80% of the time. bear with me, i know nothing about this topic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ISuckAtRiding said:
BTW, whats the best way to figure out my max heart rate? the highest i've seen is 185 durring a race and i think i could have pushed it higher if needed at that time. Other than that, the highest i've seen is 175 and my average is like 165-170 when i'm climbing or something. Shouldnt my max heart rate be like 195 since i'm only 25? I've only seen it over 180 once and i ride single speed 80% of the time. bear with me, i know nothing about this topic.
www.polar.com has some models for Max HR and you can have it tested (Vo2MAX?) to see your individual max HR.

Thanks for the help folks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.