Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly, I don't ride Hawes all that often; maybe twice a year. I've made the climb regularly on a geared bike, but never on SS. Was today my day?

Despite a clean Pita Jungle hummus dinner (with Guinness naturally) last night, alas, it was not to be today. Again.

I felt good, but man that center little switchback section is blown out. But that's just an excuse; if I had the lungs and legs, I would have made it.

Otherwise, all the trails seemed pretty good. Beautiful day and pretty stoked on my freshly built Ti SS.

IMG_0586 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

IMG_0587 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

IMG_0588 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

(please ignore the mile-long brake lines. thanks.)

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
ive never once made the middle hill past the big center rocks.. and since the 3" rain in november, i cant even make it up to that point its so loose

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going pretty good until the really rocky middle section. I got offline and dabbed there, but fully gassed out about 30 feet from the top.

·
Ridin bikes is fun
784 Posts
The first time I rode that hill 8 years ago, the friend I was with called it Double Humper. I like that name, but I have never herd anyone else call it that.
I live right here and still ride it a couple time a month, and even on my geared bike it's never a sure thing. But yeah, it's extra washed out now.
I've been itching to get a single speed lately, cleaning that hill would be a fair goal to shoot for.

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hawes, in general, isn't the type of riding I prefer on a FS rig. However, it's a blast on SS.

·
I am Walt
6,319 Posts
I've lived in Las Sendas since mid-July last year, and have avoided going up Cardiac on my SS. I could clean it occasionally with a 32x20 until about 4-5 years ago, but haven't tried it much since then, and it's gotten more difficult, IMO, since then. Seems to be much looser and rockier, and just a bear on an SS. Anyway, I think cleaning it on an SS is a worthy goal, and will be shooting for that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Walt: Did I see you out there today? Thought so, but wasn't sure.

·
I am Walt
6,319 Posts
I was out there...white/black helmet, black/yellow Gemini Lights jersey, silver Vassago OpTi SS...where did we cross paths?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
cardiac is the one that jogs north and south around the mountain, right?
then mudflaps is the one with all the huge steps east of saddle?
what is the 3rd hill called that is east of desert pass that goes up to the hawes loop?

·
No Clue Crew
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To my knowledge Cardiac/Mudflaps is the same climb.

Walt: I was on the above Ti Raijin. Black shorts/black helmet, long goatee. Looked like you were just getting starting, I was coming back down from Mine, looping back up Ridge.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
Blatant, I am in the same boat. I can clean it on a geared bike, but can only get about halfway up the first part on my single speed. I am running 32x20 and my bike weighs 22.5 pounds. There is just no excuse other than my pudgy middle.

·
I am Walt
6,319 Posts
To my knowledge Cardiac/Mudflaps is the same climb.

Walt: I was on the above Ti Raijin. Black shorts/black helmet, long goatee. Looked like you were just getting starting, I was coming back down from Mine, looping back up Ridge.
Ah, gotcha...I remember...didn't I say, "Yeah, singlespeed"! And Deanna (CoyoteKis) thinks she may have also seen you while she was running (purple top, white visor, black glasses)...

Love to ride with you sometime!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yeah, Hawes is definitely fun on the SS.

Have a blast with the Ti SS, looks very nice.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,440 Posts
I really miss Hawes....I was always happy to get that climb out of the way in the first 10min of the ride....after that grunt, you've earned that trip down Disneyland.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I ride Hawes regularly. IfI take on cardiac in the first 10-15 minutes I feel like a valve is going to blow in my chest. Would make it maybe half the time. If I add it at the end of the ride after an hour or so of pedally it is much easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts