Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi guys..i was just curious...since there are so many users from many different countries with different cooking techniques.... just to serve as a general health meter for cooking techniques...i dont know how to phrase it but i think u guys get the idea....from healthy to not healthy.

let me start it off...i am not sure if it is correct..any health or cooking experts are welcome to correct or debate here..thanks!


Generally Healthy

Steaming
Boiling
Baking
Stir Frying
Smoking
Grilling
Frying
Deep Frying

Generally Un-Healthy

how about Microwave? not sure about that...any other techniques i left out? :confused:


ok heres an edited list! :D

Generally Healthy

Raw Food Preparation
Steaming
Boiling
Baking
Broiling
Smoking
Grilling
Stir Frying
Frying
Deep Frying

Generally Un-Healthy

Debatable- Microwaving
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I think boiling is a give and take. It works well for low fat (meats), but many nutrients in vegetables and other foods are water soluble. Meaning that if you drain the water off you are sending those nutrients down the drain.
 

·
occupation : Foole
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
mafia6 said:
hi guys..i was just curious...since there are so many users from many different countries with different cooking techniques.... just to serve as a general health meter for cooking techniques...i dont know how to phrase it but i think u guys get the idea....from healthy to not healthy.

let me start it off...i am not sure if it is correct..any health or cooking experts are welcome to correct or debate here..thanks!


Generally Healthy

Steaming
Boiling
Baking
Stir Frying
Smoking
Grilling
Frying
Deep Frying

Generally Un-Healthy

how about Microwave? not sure about that...any other techniques i left out? :confused:
I think grilling could be bumped up a few spots, if you're talking about grilling plain meats/veggies (no bbq sauce, obviously) and seasoning with herbs/spices (not salt, obviously). As far as I know, microwave cooking is pretty healthy (again, if you leave out salt or unhealthy sauces). But, of course, my caveats about salt/sauce applies to any cooking method. I think grilling is good for the simple fact that some fat cooks out of the meat and drains off, instead of it just steeping in the fatty juice (baking). Oh yeah, and you can add broiling to the list, which I would also think is pretty healthy, as long as you have a drain pan for the juices to drain into. Just my quick random thoughts before I hit the road...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
mafia6 said:
hi guys..i was just curious...since there are so many users from many different countries with different cooking techniques.... just to serve as a general health meter for cooking techniques...i dont know how to phrase it but i think u guys get the idea....from healthy to not healthy.

let me start it off...i am not sure if it is correct..any health or cooking experts are welcome to correct or debate here..thanks!


Generally Healthy

Steaming
Boiling
Baking
Stir Frying
Smoking
Grilling
Frying
Deep Frying

Generally Un-Healthy

how about Microwave? not sure about that...any other techniques i left out? :confused:
If you were cooking the same exact product all these different ways, here's how it would go: (the #'s indicate that some are the same)

1 Steaming
1 Baking
1 Grilling
1 Smoking (takes forever)
2 Boiling (robs nutrients)
3 Stir Frying (ads a little fat)
4 Frying (Ads a lot of fat)
4 Deep Frying (Ads a lot of fat)
 

·
jalopy jockey
Joined
·
551 Posts
Treybiker said:
If you were cooking the same exact product all these different ways, here's how it would go: (the #'s indicate that some are the same)

1 Steaming
1 Baking
1 Grilling
1 Smoking (takes forever)
2 Boiling (robs nutrients)
3 Stir Frying (ads a little fat)
4 Frying (Ads a lot of fat)
4 Deep Frying (Ads a lot of fat)
Except that there is some nutreint loss with steaming. I'd put steaming at like a 1 1/4, And grilling tops the list just cause its more fun :D and fatty meat loose some fat unlike with baking where it woudl most likely come out but puddle at the base of the food.
 

·
I need a new name
Joined
·
906 Posts
Fuelish said:
I think grilling could be bumped up a few spots, if you're talking about grilling plain meats/veggies (no bbq sauce, obviously) and seasoning with herbs/spices (not salt, obviously). As far as I know, microwave cooking is pretty healthy (again, if you leave out salt or unhealthy sauces). But, of course, my caveats about salt/sauce applies to any cooking method. I think grilling is good for the simple fact that some fat cooks out of the meat and drains off, instead of it just steeping in the fatty juice (baking). Oh yeah, and you can add broiling to the list, which I would also think is pretty healthy, as long as you have a drain pan for the juices to drain into. Just my quick random thoughts before I hit the road...
Salt in moderation isn't always a bad thing. I tried cutting out salt in my diet and started having problems with hydration and cramping. I added the salt back in and the problems went away. My blood pressure is good so no bad effects there. Of course results will vary from person to person.

One thing we need to remember too is that your body does need some fat. It isn't a problem in most cases to get enough but someone on a 1800 cal/day diet should take in around 60gr of fat a day.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Natalie Portman said:
Don't forget raw cooking.

Kaiten Zushi

One more reason why I choose Japan as a yearly getaway.

Nummy!
how, pray tell, can you afford to travel to japan once a year?!?:eekster:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
I have a friend who only eats raw food. She started off at 200 lbs and now 6 months later is down to 145 lbs and looks great.

I myself hate salad and it's hard for me to eat uncooked vegetables, but if you like them then it's a great way to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i always thought direct over the fire cooking was bad for health? heres a wiki. think this warrants a bump down.

"Cooking meat at high temperatures, such as broiling/grilling or barbecuing, can lead to the formation of heterocyclic amines, which are carcinogens"
 

·
Kosher Princess
Joined
·
748 Posts
^_^;;

mikeb said:
how, pray tell, can you afford to travel to japan once a year?!?
It's not so much the cost as it is the time.

That said, I suspect I've burned through buckets of ¥ on quite a few trips, it ain't difficult. I mean, if your dream is to live like Brewster's Millions, Japan is willing and ready to accommodate, in more ways than one, and you'll love every second of it. However, there are ways of going and staying on the cheap. Moscow or Oslo will cost you more than Tokyo, and depending on your exchange rate, well, Japan is a deal.

Beyond that, you gotta live the life you wanna live right?

For me, Japan is just the easy getaway place. You know, when you're running from the law, seeking something familiar, and can pretty much disappear a few months on end.

All of that aside, if you choose to go on the cheap, best bet is in the summer, just pitch a tent or sleep open air (there are loads of "free" places), bring some fishing gear and ride a bike. Super safe, and more likely than not, some friendly locals will put you up and host.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Natalie Portman said:
It's not so much the cost as it is the time.

That said, I suspect I've burned through buckets of ¥ on quite a few trips, it ain't difficult. I mean, if your dream is to live like Brewster's Millions, Japan is willing and ready to accommodate, in more ways than one, and you'll love every second of it. However, there are ways of going and staying on the cheap. Moscow or Oslo will cost you more than Tokyo, and depending on your exchange rate, well, Japan is a deal.

Beyond that, you gotta live the life you wanna live right?

For me, Japan is just the easy getaway place. You know, when you're running from the law, seeking something familiar, and can pretty much disappear a few months on end.

All of that aside, if you choose to go on the cheap, best bet is in the summer, just pitch a tent or sleep open air (there are loads of "free" places), bring some fishing gear and ride a bike. Super safe, and more likely than not, some friendly locals will put you up and host.
natalie--have you seen the movie "kintaro walks japan"?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
I travel to Japan for work, can indeed do it on the cheap. In regards to food, best bet is to have lunch as your main meal of the day, the same food at lunchtime I have found is half the price of the same food at night....

I think it is all about moderation and having a balance......... Easier said than done. I always ensure I eat healthy and well 5 days out of 7, 1 day is usually half and half, and 1 day is not totally our of sync, but allow myself the rest day so to speak...

Have to say, I travel the globe and the USA is one of the hardest countries to eat healthy with ease. For sure there is healthy stuff liek anywhere, but in areas it is way harder to find. The portions in resturants are HUGE. They really dont need to be so big, just my opinion and not knocking anyone....
 

·
Kosher Princess
Joined
·
748 Posts
mikeb said:
natalie--have you seen the movie "kintaro walks japan"?
Yes, it's the man who won Amazing Race with his friend, however, I wasn't really impressed with his travels, though the idea is a good one. There's just so much more to Japan than what Kintaro expresses. The nuances, the strict awareness of personal space, the melancholy, oh and don't forget the airheads! Really though, Japan in all it's megapolis glory can be a little stressful. As an American, I accept my novelty status, after all, I never think, "I'm turning Japanese...I really think so"
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top