Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering racing my '04 F600 hardtail this season and I'll need to upgrade the headshok for the rocky trails here in northern NJ/NY state. I know Magura makes a replacement headshok cartridge that goes for around $250, and I have an '06 Reba SL (100mm) from my Trance that I could switch over. Opinions? Anyone get the Magura system? I wouldn't mind the extra 20mm travel of the Reba, but I would then need a new headset and stem. Thanks -

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan Gerous said:
what's wrong with the Headshok as it is now?
Maybe I'm not just not a great rider and I use suspension to make up for it, but the 70mm (realistically) of the headshok just doesn't feel good on rocky trails, and forget about any rock gardens. Sure it'll kill the hills, but I'm more confident going fast on my Trance, and part of the reason is the bigger fork.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
NJ-XC-Justin said:
Maybe I'm not just not a great rider and I use suspension to make up for it, but the 70mm (realistically) of the headshok just doesn't feel good on rocky trails, and forget about any rock gardens. Sure it'll kill the hills, but I'm more confident going fast on my Trance, and part of the reason is the bigger fork.
Let's not forget your Trance also has a rear suspension, which helps a lot.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
That fork should be able to eat anything you throw at it. If it doesn't feel good, chances are it needs an overhaul. Does it have lockout, and an air spring? If not, those would be the upgrades to make. Much cheaper than that Magura cart, which is none too impressive anyway :D

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Cane Creek Double XC headset and the Reba. No doubt. I put a 100mm Manitou R7 on my Optimo hard tail last year and absolutely love it. Descends like a totally different bike now. Fantastic.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Usually more reliable.

pedaler845 said:
Which ones more reliable?
I ask because Ive only used Headshoks and Im happy with them when they work (any other fork is going to add weight). My '06 new in July Headshok was ridden maybe 1200 ny trail miles and wont hold air. Are headshoks any more or less reliable than other forks?
You just have a bad air seal or something.
Send it to mendon if your LBS does not do this work locally.

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

·
16,484 Posts
If you ride it really hard, really often, a yearly service interval is imperative. If you are more of a weekend warrior type, every two or three years should be fine. The main thing with Headshocks is making sure your boot is in good shape. If it's got a hole, replace it yesterday. Can't tell you how many forks I see, all the cartridge internals are fine, but the races and bearings are toast due to contamination, doesn't take long either. One good soaker ride, with a hole in your boot, is enough, let it stew a few days, NASTY! As Damion said, probably a dry or bad seal. Check your air valve core, let the air out, remove it, put a blop of grease on it, and reinstall, nice and snug. That may do it all on it's own.

·
16,484 Posts
pedaler845 said:
I wish Cdale would post up a 'how to service a headshok' video:madman:
Thanx.
I just addressed this last week! Problem is, Cannondale can't control who is doing the work. If you miss one step, or do it wrong, you will either end up hurt, or with damaged equipment. At which point many customers would be in the shop screaming warranty. I wouldn't do it if it were my company, too many variables.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
If you were racing on (relatively) buffed XC courses, I'd say stay with the Headshock. They are stiff, rigid, whatever.

But for riding rocky nastier stuff, I'd have to say that having 20mm more travel with the same (+/- a few mm) axle to crown measurement (as it was in my case) would be a greater benefit.

Worked much better for me. Yes, I could see my front wheel flopping around more than it did with a headshock, but it was smoother and I was faster and in better control with a standard fork with more travel.

IMO, Headshocks are lightweight, strong and precise, but not really smooth or comfortable as a trail fork.

You know what the Headshock feels like, I'd give the Reba a try. If you don't like it, take it back off and sell the Cane Creek Double X headset.

·
Registered
107 Posts
GrantB: Why do you like the R7 more than a Headshok? I had an R7 Super on my last bike and it was good but a little flexy and didn't felt that strong. When I bought an Optimo with a Headshok on I really felt the difference between a good fork and the best fork I've ever tried.

Stiff like an Fox Vanilla. Lighter than an R7 or SID, more reliable. And a great fork for everything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.