Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a Cyclocross Ultra (Headshok headtube) frame sitting here that used to be my commuter, I'm starting to have idle thoughts about setting it up as a street bike using something like a Winwood disc-capable 'cross fork... which has an axle-crown height of 398mm. (The existing Headshok Fatty X is a little dodgy)

However, to preserve the frame geometry, I need an axle-crown height of about 445mm. I don't want to go much lower, as that makes the head angle steeper (it's already at 73 degrees); and I can't go higher, as then I would have standover height problems.

Snooping around the web I've found that Cannondale offer two kinds of Headshok reducer cups to use 1 1/8" forks:

A381/EBO -- alloy frame adapter cup for 1 1/8 "small travel" forks
A388/EBO -- alloy frame adapter cup for 1 1/8 "long travel" forks

The picture of the A381 small travel reducer cup (in the attached image) looks like it would take up most of the missing axle-crown height that I would need. Does anyone know how much lower stack height this reducer cup actually has?

I'm guessing that the Winwood fork + that reducer cup would make up most of the difference, and then I can select a 1 1/8" headset with an appropriate lower stack height to take up the remaining space.

(On that note -- what sort of headsets do you then need alongside the cup? I was looking at using either the Cane Creek S3, or the S3 Plus 5, depending on how much stack height I need. Would either of these fit properly?)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Cane Creek reducer headset would make life easy, and I wish I could use it for this job. However, this problem isn't an easy one. As well as the head tube reduction, I need something to make up about 45mm of lower stack height, otherwise I'll have a bike with a rediculously steep head tube angle :|

I've emailed Cannondale to get some tech info, hopefully the numbers come up my way.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh-ho.. Winwood make a Purist 26" rigid carbon fork with 420mm axle-crown height. Canti studs would be in the wrong spot for 700c, but I'd run a front disc anyway.

420 + 16 for the Double X.. 436 sounds close enough! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.