Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under what conditions is it safe to run the lockout for a Headshok? I was told by my LBS that I should only run it locked out when on really smooth surfaces (i.e. pavement only). Is this the case?

Has anyone had their lockout fail due to having it locked out over fireroads, semi-technical uphills?
.nathan.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I’ve never heard that before. If you can’t use them in the situations you describe, they aren’t much good on a mountain bike.

If I were you, I would send an e-mail directly to Cannondale’s tech support. They have always been pretty good about getting back to me with answers to my questions.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use mine on roads and occassionally when i do fireroads. I personally like the bounce on a technical climb, I know its bad, but just my style. Never had a failure. But like said above, i'd e-mail C-dale tech.

·
Huge Tracts of Land
165 Posts
Can't say I have ever had a problem with the lockout offroad after 5 years of Fatty's.

Usually I lockout on the road but often I 'forget' when I hit a track but soon remember and have had not ill effects on the Fatty.

My 2 c

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I've used mine on the road a lot, on singletrack only on a grinder of a climb with little or no technical elements, or in finish line sprints. No problems so far.

·
ceteris paribus
593 Posts
I did screw up my fatty's lockup once, but it was after a month of doing trials with the lock on. Even then it was a $20 repair. Now I lock it for any climbs, on or off road, though I've notice that having the lock off on technical climbs helps a bit.

Ps. I forgett to turn it off every once in a while when going down, and it's taken a few good hits(at least one 2 feet+ drop) with the lock on. It still works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.