Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of these threads about the Lefty bearing migration got me wondering about my Headshock that is gradually developing more play when locked out. That is I have some movement in the fork and hear the clunk as it extends slightly. I know the dealer did something to it at the last service about two years ago that minimized this but is it something that can be fixed fairly easily?

·
Music & Bikes
1,653 Posts
That sounds more like some air in your oil cartridge.

Very easy : with the castle tool , remove the cartrige then with a spanner open the cartridge. Change oil,careful to remove any air bubbles by moving the piston up and down , also by hitting gently the cartridge.

Close it up , some cartridge have a screw on the side to remove excess pressure.

Each time I do that to my fork , the lockout is OK.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Fokof's got it, one thing though, they all have a bleed scew, it's just a matter of where. Some are on the side, a #1 Phillips head, some are up inside the hollow shaft of the cartridge, some older ones had a small nail you pulled out. Don't pull it all the way out, just unscrew a little bit, the presure will well the excess up and out. Point being, if you don't let the pressure off, which you create by scewing the cap down and in, you will blow oil past the seals very quickly. As for bearing migration , it's easy to do, but with headshocks, and older leftys, you need a tool that you screw in, that tells you when you are at full extension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.