Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i have a fsa orbit z headset which i believe is what they call internal and i just took off old fork and installed new fork the crown race should still be on bottom of headset? correct?

·
Registered
357 Posts
It is on your fork which will more than likely if you never wrenched a bike look like it is part of the fork bottom of the steer tube.

You can get them off by gently using a screw driver and being patient to work it off. But for like $19 at Price Point they have a tool that assist in removing a crown race easily.

·
dirtbag
1,527 Posts
alexrex20 said:
a kitchen knife and a block of wood will work just fine to remove a crown race.
^^^ Just make sure you're using an old kitchen knife or wifey may not approve afterwards.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
RudeSechsVibe said:
Use a proper tool to remove the crown race.
Expensive and not needed. While the screwdriver method doesn't work very well, alexrex20's method works very well without damaging crown, steerer, or race. I use a variation on it myself using a razor blades. You tap the edge of the blade between the race and crown, taking turns doing at three or four points around it. Once you have enough space, you can simply put the tip of screwdriver into the now big enough gap and pop the race off.

·
Registered
685 Posts
hold the fork steerer tube down and smack the steerer tube with a dead blow hammer two or three times...the race usually falls right off.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
It took me 1hour literally to get the crown race on a Crane Creek S2 or something, not looking forward to removing that ever, shame want to try that fork in another frame :(

·
Come see me after class
1,431 Posts
installing them without the right tools is definitely a PITA, but removing it is only a matter of 1-2min with a kitchen knife and block of wood.

·
Registered
144 Posts
commo_soulja said:
^^^ Just make sure you're using an old kitchen knife or wifey may not approve afterwards.
LOL. Used the wifes kitchen knives to remove a car stereo once. Still hear about it to this day.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Using proper tools, both installation and removal of crown races should take about five minutes tops. If you take it to a shop, they should be able to remove the crown race for you for maybe $5 and it will be unharmed. Not using proper tools can cause scratches to fork crowns, mar the crown race, or scratch the steer tube. You may not care about cosmetic scratches, but if the fork has a carbon crown/steerer, you could be in for big trouble.

If you can't easily remove the race using minimal force, take it into a shop with a sixer of PBR and they'll likely sort you out.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
trboxman said:
hold the fork steerer tube down and smack the steerer tube with a dead blow hammer two or three times...the race usually falls right off.
it shouldn't

1 - 17 of 17 Posts