Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly old mystery frame with an odd headset size. The headtube ID is 32.7mm and the fork's steer tube I.D is 21.1mm. It looks like a normal 1" threaded from a glance, but clearly isn't once you try putting a standard 30.0mm headset in the frame. Ideally I'd like to convert this frame to a threadless fork some kind. Probably an RST since they're the only ones left who actually make 1" threadless steerer tube forks. Any suggestions on finding the appropriate headset, if even possible?

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
21.1 ID stuff is old, and cheap. Kids cheapo BMX bikes BITD had it, as did some department store adult bikes. 22.2 is standard ID for 1". Nothing out there that I'm aware of as far as forks, headsets and stems in modern-ish anything. Just more of the same level stuff, Wald being the existing manufacturer for currently available stuff.

Good luck!

·
retrobike refugee
7 Posts
You've got an American/BMX standard frame:

http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

There are a few ways to get where you want to go. Probably the simplest is to pick up a pair of shims to let you mount a standard 1" headset in your frame, and work from there:

http://www.danscomp.com/309030.php?cat=PARTS

In theory you can run a 1 1/8" fork in a 1" American head tube. That gets you more fork options, but finding the headset parts to work together might get a little more involved.

·
retrobike refugee
7 Posts
So somewhere out in vast world of obscure obsolete bike parks is a threadless headset with 32.7mm cup races that accepts a 28.6mm steerer tube?
I don't know of an off-the-shelf solution. When I've seen it done, it's involved careful selection of headset parts that work together.

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
King still makes them but in small batches with somewhat limited availability. Check aspirevelotech.com and look for bmx 1" size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.