Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2006 Specilized Enduro that I bought used. I took the steerer out of the head to clean/check bearings (has slightly loosened up on me on the last two rides and felt a little gritty after the last ride with lots of sandy/muddy crap).

So I found what I think is a bad crown race (slid right off the steerer, check the gap at 12 o'clock in the picture)...

When I set the crown race back in a bearing, it seems to seat nicely, but there is definitely a gap where dirt could work in-should there be an o-ring there, or is this just because my bum crown race has expanded a little?

So I think I need a new crown race and new bearings (one of them is still a little gritty after cleaning), but there is nothing identifying my headset other than a can creek top cover...

according to the spec website, my headset is "1 1/8 threadless, 13mm insertion alloy cups, sealed cartridge bearing"

So I bought the bike used.... I am not sure if this whole headset assembly was rigged together from various parts or not...

What crown race and bearings do I buy? Or do i just chuck it in the bin and get a whole new headset so I know what I have?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The split ring crown race is by design. They're commonly used on integrated and semi-integrated headsets with sealed cartridge bearings. As long as the contact surface of the crown race and lower cartridge bearing are mated at the correct angle, then it does not matter which type or which brand of crown race you use (ie can be split or not split).

Some headsets use an extra o-ring rubber seal, while others don't.

If the cartridge bearing is gritty, then you can dissemble it for cleaning and regreasing.

Gently prize out the blue seal and remove the circlip holding the bearing parts together...

When you reassemble the headset, be sure to pack the empty cavities around the bearings and headtube/cups with grease so that it forms a grease seal to keep out water and dirt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got the same headset on my enduro. Replacing those bearings won't be too expensive if you don't wanna upgrade the whole headset. You can use the small numbers on the cartridge bearings to locate replacements on eBay, at your LBS, or at a bearing supply house. If you are ordering them mail order or at a LBS, that VP headset uses the same bearings as a Cane Creek S3.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
half_squid said:
I've got the same headset on my enduro. Replacing those bearings won't be too expensive if you don't wanna upgrade the whole headset. You can use the small numbers on the cartridge bearings to locate replacements on eBay, at your LBS, or at a bearing supply house. If you are ordering them mail order or at a LBS, that VP headset uses the same bearings as a Cane Creek S3.
Is that the model-VP? I couldn't find any matches to anything and the cartridge bearings don't have any readable numbers.

I was about to go ahead and buy a new headset, but maybe I'll just buy a set of S3 bearings...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yah I suspect just the bearings are gonna be around $20 bucks. I suspect the S3 has better seals than the VP headset. If you have the tools/ability to swap the pressed in cups, I'd probably just buy a new headset.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
half_squid said:
Yah I suspect just the bearings are gonna be around $20 bucks. I suspect the S3 has better seals than the VP headset. If you have the tools/ability to swap the pressed in cups, I'd probably just buy a new headset.
Still haven't found "VP" bearings, but finally found S3 bearings and they were more expensive than I thought ($30 for a pair, I think?). I am thinking about going with an PSA pig pro DH, the price is right and this bike sees some pretty hard use, including lift access parks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts