Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the new Mojos have an INTEGRATED headset or an INTERNAL headset. I'm not too keen on the idea of the integrated becasue I believe the frame acts as the holder for the headset bearings. (if I understand it correctly)

If it is integrated can anyone ease my mind about that type of system? I was really on the verge of buying a Mojo but I would like more info on this. It's going to either be a Yeti 575 or the Mojo. A new mojo would look great next to my 97 Mojo that I have set up these days as a Single Speed. ; )

Thanks!

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
No need to listen to arguments against it. In the Mojo's case anyway, it works. Use a high quality "IS" headset (Cane Creek Solos or 110) and you'll never be be bothered.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not concerned about wearing out a headset. I'm worried about the frame wearing out since there are no cups in the head tube. Maybe I'm just misinformed but figured this was the place to has the questions. thx

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I have the Mojo SL where the bearings rest right on the carbon. I researched it before swapping all the parts over from my 575 and didn't hear of any problems. If you aren't convinced it's a good system I have a large 575 frame you can buy cheap:)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Do a search this topic has been tossed around quite a bit regarding the carbon cups.
I too had misgivings. But with such incredible customer service if you were to ever have a problem made it a non-issue for me.
So far, know one has had a problem with the IS standard on the Moj and that is probably why Ibis made the giant leap of stamping in, or should I say gluing in carbon cups in the SL.
The comment to go with the 110 for such a super cutting edge design is good advise. The wonderful seals and high quality bearings should alow very little chemical fouling on the carbon races.
Be sure to always keep your headset snug. Imho, It seems the IS standard seems to need to be lightly more snug than standard.(use your own judgement) There are allot of SL's out there now with all different quality of headsets with no complaints of problems with the carbon races on this forum that I have seen.
I would give Ibis a call and ask them directly as they are quite different from most other bike companies.
Ps, go ahead and plunk, you will be a happy plunker.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lelandjt said:
I have the Mojo SL where the bearings rest right on the carbon. I researched it before swapping all the parts over from my 575 and didn't hear of any problems. If you aren't convinced it's a good system I have a large 575 frame you can buy cheap:)
Check your email.

any other people have thoughts on this to help me make a decision?

·
More Torque
2,037 Posts
I've been offroad on standard headsets for 20 years, and I've spent the last 3 on bike with the same internal headset standard as the Mojo. There has been no appreciable wear on the frame with the internal headset, and it is nice not to have to break out the headset press or cup remover.

If you don't trust the carbon mating surface of the SL, then just get the standard Mojo with the aluminum inserts.

If I were considering both of those bikes, I'd be more concerned by their ride, handling, and pedaling characteristics. I rode the '09 575 and the Mojo back to back, and they are quite different.

Hope this helps,

-D

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Diesel~ said:
I've been offroad on standard headsets for 20 years, and I've spent the last 3 on bike with the same internal headset standard as the Mojo. There has been no appreciable wear on the frame with the internal headset, and it is nice not to have to break out the headset press or cup remover.

If you don't trust the carbon mating surface of the SL, then just get the standard Mojo with the aluminum inserts.

If I were considering both of those bikes, I'd be more concerned by their ride, handling, and pedaling characteristics. I rode the '09 575 and the Mojo back to back, and they are quite different.

Hope this helps,

-D
Actually it is quite helpful. yes I need to ride both. but I didn't know the regular Mojo has aluminum inserts. I was nt getting an SL anyway. This is why I'm, asking. I didn't see any of that info on the Ibis site about aluminum inserts. Do they act like a "cup" of sort?

and yes I need to ride both to full understand the differences.

good info. thanks!

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
mtbnj said:
I'm not concerned about wearing out a headset. I'm worried about the frame wearing out since there are no cups in the head tube. Maybe I'm just misinformed but figured this was the place to has the questions. thx
This is a good place to check. If there is even a hint of a problem, it pops up here. I have been reading most all that comes though on the Mojo since I bought one of the first. As I said, it works. There has been NO problems with the internal cups or the frame surrounding the cups. CK makes an argument against IS headsets. But fact is, at least with the Mojo, it works. I added the headset information as a bonus. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
noshortcuts said:
This is a good place to check. If there is even a hint of a problem, it pops up here. I have been reading most all that comes though on the Mojo since I bought one of the first. As I said, it works. There has been NO problems with the internal cups or the frame surrounding the cups. CK makes an argument against IS headsets. But fact is, at least with the Mojo, it works. I added the headset information as a bonus. :D
Yes I read the CKing point of view and I figured can't hurt to ask more about it. I'm feeling better about it reading all of the positve responses to it. And I would for sure go with the best headset I could put in it.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
I haven't seen any reports/pix......or even heard the slightest peep regarding any damage/issues with the internal cups.

I too read CK's opinions about it....they are standing firm as more and more companies are going with integrated or internal systems. CK is a reputable company and their products are great (I had a CK headset prior to the mojo and still ride on CK hubs). I was kinda bummed to hear that I couldn't use a CK headset in the Mojo but that quickly wore off when Cane Creek released the 110 (which I have).

The trend towards IS and internal systems is growing....especially this year. It just makes more sense as we move towards longer travel single crown forks.

I can understand CK's thoughts though because you're relying on the frame makers ability to make a durable, precisely made headtube. And of course, if you damage the headtube, your whole frame goes bust. Maybe with other companies, I would be more worried but with Ibis's insane customer service, its' not even a concern for me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
good advice and I appreciate the input. The more I hear from people saying they have not heard of any issues, I'm more likely to go with a Mojo. I too will plunk down the $$$ for the CC110. I don't want any hassles if I can avoid it I'll spend the extra cash.

GREAT HELP, thanks!
Tom

p.s. NOW WHAT COLOR DO I GET???? --- this will have to be a new thread ; ))

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is probably a stupid question but here goes:

I am looking at getting an Mojo as a frame only and switching over all of my current coponents. I have a CC 110 headset that is 1 1/8". If I am reading correctly, you guys are just pulling the 110 bearings out of the cups and installing the bearings right in the frame? No problems?

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
flow350 said:
This is probably a stupid question but here goes:

I am looking at getting an Mojo as a frame only and switching over all of my current coponents. I have a CC 110 headset that is 1 1/8". If I am reading correctly, you guys are just pulling the 110 bearings out of the cups and installing the bearings right in the frame? No problems?
No, it's a smart question. If you didn't ask, you might get yourself in a heap of trouble. We are buying the CC 110-IS headset (note the "-IS"). It is made for internal cups like the Mojo has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why would Cane Creek offer a tall and short version of the CC 110 IS?
Chain Reaction Cycles are offering this model for sale on their website:
<http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28510>
Is it looks or added strength?
Any ideas...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.