Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
What's up Dut?
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What headset out on the market has the lowest stack height? I have a Cane Creek S-6 and their website says that this headset has a stack height of 26mm. Is there a headset with less than this? My headtube is just a standard headtube. I am having a problem on a new bike set up where the steerer tube on the fork is a few mm short. The top of the tube comes to just above the center of the second bolt of the stem (Bontrager Racelite stem)...maybe a little higher. If I can't find a way to reduce the stack height of the headset, in your opinion, do you guys foresee any problems with running the stem/steerer tube height combo this way?

Let me know your thoughts...thanks in advance!!!!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Companies like BBB offer steerertube extentions for such problems. Perhaps a different stem could help out?
I wouldn't advise this to anyone, but if it were me, I'd try to shorten the headtube on the top side, always a few mm left there, or just ride the stem like that till I feel something scary. Another headset, stem or extender is the way to go, of course.

·
What's up Dut?
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Star Headset

nightfire said:
The Star headset has a very low stack hieght. Made by the flatmate of frank from Maverick or something like that.

Here is a picture of one on a Ferrous 29er

P::..
Where can I find more info on the Star headset? Where is sold through? LBS or Internet?

Thanks for the info guys!

·
What's up Dut?
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Extension

Cloxxki said:
Companies like BBB offer steerertube extentions for such problems. Perhaps a different stem could help out?
I wouldn't advise this to anyone, but if it were me, I'd try to shorten the headtube on the top side, always a few mm left there, or just ride the stem like that till I feel something scary. Another headset, stem or extender is the way to go, of course.
How much are these extensions? Where can I find one?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hey Matt, I'll make you a deal on a Ritchey headset. Its got a really low stack height! :D

Thats funny that you mention that, my Marzocchi fork that was on my large Mt. Tam (and used about 1-1/4" in spacers) is now just a little too short for my new frame. Without any spacers, it engages the stem a little more than halfway. It will probably be fine, but if I'm wrong... it will most likely hurt... a lot!

I really don't want to get rid of my King headset, so I'm going to do a *little bit* of grinding on my stem to shorten the height a little. If that doesn't work, I may need to try something else.

I've also been noticing that my fork seems to be flexing a lot more than usual. When I had it resealed a couple months ago, the shop said the bushings looked fine. So, I'm also seriously considering going with a Lefty. After all, if one is going to ride a bike with freak-sized wheels... one should also have a matching freak-style fork to go with it! Right?

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Can't seem to find any info about that Star headset there NF...Got more info about it? I checked the linked website, and google and can't seem to find anything. Looks interesting.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
There are several more options.

1. If the top of the steerer is just above the top bolt, it's probably okay. If it's at the center of the top bolt...that may be a bit short.
2. Is there room on the head tube to have the top faced / cut down a few milimeters? A good LBS will have a head tube facing tool that can also be used to trim a few mm off the top of the head tube thereby getting you the needed few mm.
3. Is that Bonty stem a crmo stem? Crmo stems like the Salsa have a pretty short clamping area unlike most alloy stems that are pretty tall.
4. The shortest stack height headsets I could find besides the Cane Creek are:
Campagnolo Record 24.5
FSA/Tien Hsin has two headsets, the TH-888S and TH-888, that have 23.6mm stack heights. However, good luck finding one since they are OEM only. They are pretty economical with steel cups and loose balls, but low stack heights.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Star headsets

Hi guys,

I have just been tipped off by nightfire about the headset thread.

The Star headset is made of heat treated stainless steel (machined after treatment so it is not warped by heat treatment) with proper mechanical seals (not just rubber lip-seals) loose bearings 41 or 42 per race (can't remember how many!) keep things turning smooth.

I have been running this for 3 years and I have re-greased it once (when I changed the forks, didn't really need it) and it has kept out everythin up to and including mud, grit, and a jet-wash :D

Call Euro Asia Imports for £ / $ and availability.

SSP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.