Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...
I need a headset now and like always i'm in a big budget...
I was looking for something cheap like the FSA "The Pig" or "The Pig DH PRO" and here is the Q. :

Is "The Pig" good anough for FR/DH ..?
Any other cheap HeadSet good for FR/DH..?

Sorry for this boring thread.. :rolleyes:
Thanks...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
the Pig is more than enough. They are open race bearings so they can eventually get dirty and eventually wear if you never ever clean them, but cup strength wise its probably only second best to King Steelset.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zedro said:
the Pig is more than enough. They are open race bearings so they can eventually get dirty and eventually wear if you never ever clean them, but cup strength wise its probably only second best to King Steelset.
Thanks my Dear Friend Zedro... ;)
How often you recomend to clean the headset...?
And what are the sings of wearing...?

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
I have a pig and it is definitely a good headset, I haven't cleaned mine in several months but its been working solid so yea....

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
good, question, i'm pretty lazy with headsets and generally only tear down yearly (in muddy conditions no less), and in that time it does start to show visible signs of wear, although fully usable and relatively smooth. If you want to give decent maintenance, monthly under dirty condtions, every few months under normal conditions. The seals arent bad for an open unit too, just give very generous amounts of grease.

These headsets are so cheap though, its barely a heartache to change yearly if you even felt inclined (i wouldnt bother thinking about that till 2 years anyways).

Minor wear is mearly visible, some discoloration in certain spots, the balls will loose their shine. As wear increases, the balls will start to pit, then the races, at which time the set will loose its smoothness. I really wouldnt be concerned though, if you keep it clean and greased, they will last as a sealed cart set would.

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
Tore down my buddy's Pig a while back after a full season of racing on it and some of the grease was still blue. They do a suprisingly good job of sealing out the elements - and this is after nasty stuff like coating the whole bike in an inch of mud at Mt. Snow and hosing it off...

I'd just clean it at your convenience, i.e. when you're taking the fork off the bike for another reason or bored and need something to do. It's pretty burly and maintenance free.

The price is unbeatable, too.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey...
I have this thing right here and I was thinking if is posible to take the sealed cartridge off of this one an put it on a new Pig boddy. It will fit...?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
VIA said:
Hey...
I have this thing right here and I was thinking if is posible to take the sealed cartridge off of this one an put it on a new Pig boddy. It will fit...?
i really doubt it, but why not use the whole lower cup assembly? thats the one that gets gunked up anyways.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
zedro said:
i really doubt it, but why not use the whole lower cup assembly?

Yeah..thanks DFZ...
I may endup doing that ...so THE PIG it is...
Thanks again..

*Dear Friend Zedro ............................. ;) ............... :D

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well...
I just order a RACE FACE Real Seal HeadSet from UniversalCycles.com for 20bux cuz was silver and have a scrach in the logo but is new never install...can't bit that...right..!!!?

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Here is another good tip...........

When you install the headset, go to your local LBS and buy a bunch of loose balls that are the same size as the ones that come with the headset. Then, get rid of the stupid little retainer that holds the bearings in place. Those things are worthless. If you looseball the headset it will be a lot smoother and won't wear out as fast. But, it also takes longer to install the bearings.

Good Luck,

Beau

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
silver is nice...once of those would look nice on a new polished VP-Free...

so VIA what i goota do to make u crak it today...:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts