Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

A few days ago I bought a Gary Fisher Sugar 4+ on Craigslist. After a few minutes of riding I noticed that the headset had come loose. I then tightened it back(loosened the stem bolts, tightened the top bolt, retightened the stem bolts). The headset seemed to be fixed, yet after a few more minutes of riding, the problem came back.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Headset coming loose despite tightening.

First, did you "crack" the stem loose before tightening the headset bolt? Whenever I tighten my headset, I unscrew the stem bolts and jerk the stem back and forth on the steertube and then tighten.

Also, make sure the stem and headset bolt threads are cleaned and lubed. I have had bolts loosen that were too "dry."

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm sure there are much more knowledgeable folks here ! but if you take off the cap and look inside, the fork steering tube should be about 3mm SHORT of the end, not much more OR much less. It is easy to check and if is the wrong length, the problem is easy to fix if it is a little too long...not so easy to fix if it is too short.
Are there spacers in the "stack" ?

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Look at it?

542east said:
the fork was changed from a Manitou Axel to a Marzocchi MX Comp before I bought the bike. How can I tell whether the tube is too long?
Pull the top cap off. The top edge of the steer tube should be a little (3mm or so) below the stem top surface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.