Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having some headset issues. I know this may not be the right forum for this but I don’t know where else it would belong.

I have a new Race Face Dues headset. It’s been on my bike for about three weeks. In this time it has a fair amount of trainer miles and a few times outside. One of the outdoor rides was in the rain. Over the weekend, it developed a creak when I turn the bars. I also think I can feel something like grinding. My LBS did the install on it and they are typically very good, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t an installation issue. I was thinking it could be the fact that it got wet, but it’s my understanding that these bearings are sealed and shouldn’t be effected by a bit of moisture.

Any ideas? Hopefully it’s something I can fix without losing my bike to the shop for a few days.

·
Registered
729 Posts
First things first, you have to make sure that the creek is not coming from any other places, like the cables, stem, or any other area. If you are sure that it is coming from the headset, loosen it enough to expose everything, give it a thorough cleaning and grease all the contact points, races to bearings, then re adjust it and see if it clears the problem if it doesn't take it to the shop where it was installed, it has only been three weeks and the labor should be under warranty.

Shmack said:
I'm having some headset issues. I know this may not be the right forum for this but I don't know where else it would belong.

I have a new Race Face Dues headset. It's been on my bike for about three weeks. In this time it has a fair amount of trainer miles and a few times outside. One of the outdoor rides was in the rain. Over the weekend, it developed a creak when I turn the bars. I also think I can feel something like grinding. My LBS did the install on it and they are typically very good, so I'm pretty sure it isn't an installation issue. I was thinking it could be the fact that it got wet, but it's my understanding that these bearings are sealed and shouldn't be effected by a bit of moisture.

Any ideas? Hopefully it's something I can fix without losing my bike to the shop for a few days.

·
Tough Guy Extraordinaire
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried pretty carefully to isolate and rule out the handle bars or stem clamp and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the headset. I'll try pulling it apart and cleaning the contacts to see what happens. I did try and work some TriFlow in there and that didn't seem to help.

My ultimate goal is to aviod a few days without my bike, so I want to exhaust all other options first.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Shmack said:
I tried pretty carefully to isolate and rule out the handle bars or stem clamp and I'm pretty sure it's coming from the headset. I'll try pulling it apart and cleaning the contacts to see what happens. I did try and work some TriFlow in there and that didn't seem to help.

My ultimate goal is to aviod a few days without my bike, so I want to exhaust all other options first.
don't put any liquid lube like triflow into the bearings! if it gets into the bearings it'll break down the proper grease in there.

another thing to check is if there are any spacers and the stem-steerer tube interface. take 'em all off, clean well & reinstall. some like to put a very light wipe of CLEAN grease on the steerer tube on the install.
do the same with the stem/handlebar interface.
any spec of dirt/grit at these spots can cause a creak.

The last creak I tracked down to the spacers.
if you're unsure about do the re-install properly, check out parktool.com's repair faq.

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
repack the headset with white lithium grease or any type of bearing grese really. Bullshot works pretty good as does Wal-Mart's Super-Tech lithium grease. Bearings need the thick grease to run smoothly and stay clean and maintain proper shape. Does your headset have cartridge bearings? If so try greasing the cups first and reassembly the headset. If it still creaks you may have to get new cartrides or disassmble the cartridge if think you want to and clean the bearings up. your not supposed to be able to disassemble cartridges but it can be done. Also make sure the headset isn't too tight. Turn your wheel and make sure you don't FEEL a gringing or bumping. If you do feel this your headset is too tight and the bearings are being squished. Loosen the Stem bolts and then loosen the top cap bolt. Tighten the top cap bolt until everything is snug with no play in the headset (hold on to the fork leg and onto the handle bar and turn and twist and tug. Also lock the front brake tight with the brake lever and with the front wheel on the ground and your weight over th fork push forward and backwards. ) and no grinding feeling in the headset.

Try the last thing first before regeasing your headdset.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.