·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these parts with a (Ritchey) headset:
Circle Composite material Gas Coquelicot Paint

1. Plastic ring with an opening.
2. Cover.
3. Mysterious plastic ring, flat on one side.
4. Tapered metal ring.

The cover isn't hard to figure out. But no.3, the mysterious plastic ring, what does it do, and where does it go?

Is this the order?
Finger Nail Steel Silver Aluminium

Or does the mysterious plastic ring go on the bottom of the headtube, against the fork crown?

I suppose the tapered metal ring is just to hammer down on the steering tube :
Metal Bicycle part Steel Aluminium Silver

Can someone advice please?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
You are correct, the tapered black ring with all the angles goes on the fork. Usually not easy to get on, usually use a piece of PVC pipe to hammer it down. Lots of people use a 1 1/8" hole drilled in a work bench as a upside down press. Your LBS would probably do it for a couple of bucks.
You picture of the top is good except usually the black plastic ring would sit on the crown race on the fork to protect the bottom bearing. You will have to see where it fits best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply :)

Yeah, I've just managed to hammer the tapered ring down. Used a piece of wood, or rather a couple of them since they fell apart, and a hammer. Probably not the easiest way to do it, but it worked in the end and didn't damage anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.