Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating between King and Hope for my new build.

I already run King on other bikes. Just looking for something different and I think Hope is of the same caliber if not better.. correct? or should I stick with King?

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Also consider Cane Creek 110.

I have one and it has been flawless. I don't know if it's actually better or not as a CK, but it's very good. I had a CK on another bike and it was also good.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
King

I have a King headset from before soto voice, from before lazer etching from 12+ years ago that has been on close to 10 bikes, and it's still working perfectly. I paid less than $100 for it so it cost me $8 a year to own my headset.
A freind of mine asked me to help swap in a smaller front triangle on his 2 year old Epiphany, when I removed the cane creek headset it had gouges all around the frame to headset interface. This could have been caused by the original builders techniques, but I use a Park consumer installation tool and removal tool with a claw hammer to set the races on my Kings and I've never had to replace any part of any of my 4 King headsets.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have a King and a Cane Creek 100. The King is still in use, though I chose to move it from my Blur LT2 w/ 140mm travel Pike to my rigid singlespeed last year in favor of the Cane Creek 100. The King kept getting loose on rougher rides, so I opted for the CC, which includes the all important conical retaining ring. That headset has not loosened since. The jury is still out on long term reliability, though I have no doubt that it is up for the long haul.
I'm not bashing King. Mine is a 6 year old headset and will undoubtably be in service for many years to come; I simply won't use one on a longer-travel bike in the future. If only King would bite the bullet and buy into CC's patent like almost ALL other headset manufacturers do, then they would have the ultimate headset.
I've never used a Hope headset. I'm not sure how their system is set up...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have 2 Chris Kings (on a Turner Sultan and a Pugsley) and a Hope headset on a Salsa Las Cruces. The Hope is just as good if not better than the King, although it was a little more finicky to get adjusted right the first time finding the right shim stack. Once done I think it is possibly more weather proof than the CK but that's splitting hairs. It has taken a pounding being on a rigid fork on a cross bike and hasn't required any adjusting, but neither have the Kings. I bought it at my LBS where it had been sitting for a long time probably because most people only know the King name and hype. So it was a little cheaper than the King and I wanted to check it out. I'd buy another but I may never need another headset. I don't think you can go wrong either way and the Cane Creeks look top shelf as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just just saw that the Hope design is licensed from Cane Creek. Read the review at Competitive Cyclist of the Cane Creek for a comparison of Cane Creek and Chris King by an admitted King fan. Interesting. I think if I need another, I like the Hope but maybe it's a Cane Creek.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
dave29er said:
Just just saw that the Hope design is licensed from Cane Creek. Read the review at Competitive Cyclist of the Cane Creek for a comparison of Cane Creek and Chris King by an admitted King fan. Interesting. I think if I need another, I like the Hope but maybe it's a Cane Creek.
As far as I know the only thing Hope licenses is the compression ring to center the fork within the top bearing while designs and manufactures everything else on the headset

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,826 Posts
boomn said:
As far as I know the only thing Hope licenses is the compression ring to center the fork within the top bearing while designs and manufactures everything else on the headset
Yep, that's what pretty much every threadless headset maker does due to it being a superior design, CK does not. CC owns the patent (from aheadset), companies like Hope and FSA and so on make all their own stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THanks for all the feedback. No need for switching forks because this will be on a pugsley so nothing else will really be interchangeable with it. I'm leaning towards Hope right now, i think it looks between than the CC

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
One consideration for sticking with King is that you could switch forks around without changing out crown races...
Good point...I want to support King, I really do. I love their environmental practices and its all made in my neck of the woods. But I have seen enough issues with their threadless headsets on bikes (especially with longer A-C fork lengths) to have concern. On top of that, I have used the Aheadset designs (Aheadset, Cane Creek, FSA, WTB) and simply found it works better.

What is interesting is that according to the Cane Creek website, they license their threadless headset patent to King...:confused:

·
Registered
681 Posts
scottzg said:
i maintain that my CC s3's are better than king, regardless of price.
I don't know about 'better' but I can vouch that my CC S3 has lasted as long and been as smooth as my CK Nothreadset. I can't tell the difference 'cept the price and the name. Next headset I buy (if I ever need another one) will be another S3. Why waste money?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Good point...I want to support King, I really do. I love their environmental practices and its all made in my neck of the woods. But I have seen enough issues with their threadless headsets on bikes (especially with longer A-C fork lengths) to have concern. On top of that, I have used the Aheadset designs (Aheadset, Cane Creek, FSA, WTB) and simply found it works better.

What is interesting is that according to the Cane Creek website, they license their threadless headset patent to King...:confused:
Maybe the design is close enough, despite King's take on it, to warrant royalty payments rather than fight it in court? In looking around seems the patent expires this September in any case. The inventor is listed as Homer J Rader III, apparently a real estate investor...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.