Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have received a Scandal 29'er from On-One (bike build by On-One).

The question is regarding the headset. As you can see on the picture the headset is not fitting 100 % well into the frame. But I am not sure whether this is an issue or not?

On-One told me that the headset would fit better into a steel frame but I could not get an answer whether it would be better to use another headset for the bike.

So what do you think - is it a problem that the headset does not fit that well, and how should I approach this?

Comments and sharing of experiences are much appreciated :)

Thanks

Attachments

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
I would not ride it. Should take the front end apart and see why the cups are not pressed in all the way. Do they use a freeride or DH headset with extra long cups? Even on those type I have never seen them not pressed in all of the way.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Have you sent that picture to On-One? Regardless of frame material the head set cups should fit better then that. Take it to a shop and have them ream and face the head tube.

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your repsonses.

I forgot to mention that I have actually tried with a headset tool to press the caps firmly to the frame. It is impossible to push them any further.

The picture have been sent to On-One which led them to answer, that the cups would fit better for steel frames. But I dont understand why it is possible to pick exactly that headset for an aluminium frame if they do not fit.

Maybe it would be fair to ask on-one for replacement?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I don't know why that isn't fitting, but I wouldn't accept that answer from On-One. As mentioned, this may be a DH headset with extra deep cups. Unless you spec'd this particular headset, they shouldn't have used it. Even if you did spec' it, they shouldn't have shipped it that way. Send a PM to Shiggy and get this sorted out.

Also, you don't need to spend to spend big money on a Chris King to solve this. There's got to be 20 different perfectly usable headsets under $50 that will last for years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Car_nut: Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I picked the headset from a list of opportunities when I ordered the bike. In that sense I got what I ordered, but I expected that the list of headsets would only contain parts that would actually fit with my frame.

Based on the feedback I shouldn't take the chance and just accept the build and ride the bike anyway. I will cross fingers that on-one will help sorting this out.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
To chime in ....

I will agree with already has been stated, that headset does not look to be properly installed.

Is it a DH headset with deep cups? Does not matter. You would hope a company like On One would realize that this headset is not compatible with the frame and not ship out. :nono:

I would worry this headset might ovalize the headtube after sometime. Then the frame is worthless ....:mad:.

If you are able to, I would remove the front fork. It is a total of three bolts ( 2 on stem and preload on top cap). The front fork will come off and you will be able to see inside the headtube. You will see if the cups are pressed in all the way but bottoming out on some material in the headtube or if the headset cups are pressed in all the way.

Whatever you see, I would not ride that frame the way it is now. Hopefully On One will be on this and resolve this issue for you.

Keep us posted. I am curious to see if On One does the right thing on this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your responses.

On-One builded the bike like this.

I have tried to push the caps closer to the frame with a headset tool but the headset cannot come closer. That means that half of the headset is in the frame and half of it is visible as shown on the picture.

Based from the feedback it is a mystery why On-One shipped the bike like that and why they did not use another headset or informed me about the problem.

I have questioned another issue regarding the bike (a strong tendency to chainsuck) - and I was informed that the mechanics all had a certain certification hence they are very skilled. I don't doubt that but the bike build has left me with a couple of questions.

After I received my bike I was informed not to use it because the wheels were being questioned in some kind of test. After a week I got a mail stating that there were not problems with the wheels anyway. I have asked On-One what kind of problems they were testing for but they did not answer that. Except from that Jamie from On-One UK has been kind to answer my questions but I still miss a solution for this headset issue (and partly the chainsuck issue).

That said I am pleased with my bike and I think On-One makes some pretty nice frames.

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
A frame labeled "scandal" shipped with the headset hanging half way out of the headtube.....oh the irony.

Now the customer points out the issue in a reasonable manner, and gets a fairytale about it not being an issue. This is simply disrespectful! Exactly how stupid do On-One think you are?

Next step in my book would be a bit more aggressive to say the least, and I'd drop them a link to this thread as well, just to make sure that they see the negative PR they get for this kind of attitude.

That, or simply give them the option of either taking back the entire bike for a full refund, or sorting the issue immediately.
This is definitely not ok.

Magura :)

EDIT:

Regarding the chain suck issue, the first thing I'd check would be if the chain-line is correct. Considering they shipped the bike with the headset installed obviously and visibly wrong, I'd suspect them of just about anything.
If that bike was assembled by a certified bike mechanic, I'd say we have a pretty strong argument to ban alcohol and cannabis.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your comments - also regarding the chain suck issue.

More chainsuck (a bit OT...):
I have thought about getting my local mechanic to check the chain line because that is an area where my own experience is limited. On-One mentioned the certified mechanics and chain suck can happen when being aggressive. It happens quite often when changing from the bigger to the smaller front chain ring but also when just pedaling with zero degree of aggressiveness, so that doesn't really explain it.

Further on-one say that stuff can happen during transport and that might be the case even though nothing visible on the bike indicates that components have been harmed or damaged.

On-one said that I should get a mech to check the chainsuck whether it was due to transport issues (this advice was not mentioned in relation to the headset). Haven't had the opportunity to get it checked yet.

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
I'm not sure I'd put up with all that nonsense in your place.
On-One should sort this out, instead of telling you to go pay for your LBS to do it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As said already, DON"T ride the bike with the headset like that! What headset is it anyways? As others mentioned more than likely a deep version more oriented for DH/FR type bikes. Definitely On-One should make this right for you - Shame on them for shipping the bike with a headset installed that clearly does not work with the frame. In the mean time though if you want to ride, I'd order a Cane Creek S3 headset off Jenson or Chain Reaction for around $35 US and install that.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Said headset is on-one's own Smoothie. Hope they pull through and sort it out. In the meantime, as others have said, don't ride that bike. just to be safe.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
This is the headset. There is actually a user comment from a person asking whether it would fit with the Scandal frame and the answer is yes...(?)
Yep, it should be able to if everything else is correct. It is not a deep insertion DH cup like some have speculated. My guess is that the headtube wasn't reamed properly

·
DIY all the way
2,053 Posts
Yep, it should be able to if everything else is correct. It is not a deep insertion DH cup like some have speculated. My guess is that the headtube wasn't reamed properly
Your guess sounds about right to me as well, which makes it even more ridiculous that On-One shipped it as is.

What you're looking at here, is most likely to return the bike, but make sure it's not at your expense. They sure should not have shipped it to you like this, especially if they want to claim to have highly skilled mechanics employed.

To be honest I'd try to get a refund, and take my business elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts