Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I just bought a new '09 Norco Shore One frame and shock. The shop was 400kms away (crazy deal) so I told them to keep it on hold for me while I do the drive, and an FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5R with it. I did not tell them to install it because I didn't trust them (bought my last bike there and they did a really bad build up of my wheels).

I get there the next morning and the headset is in the frame already. I check it and see pretty bad installation marks on the cups. I asked the guy if that was a big deal and he said " No, and the bearings turn great. The headset went in smooth."

But when I got home and installed my fork, the crown race couldn't go in because the lower cup was bent inwards. I had to file some metal inside the cup lip to get the crown to sit at the right place, and sanded a little bit of the lower cup to make it a little flatter (not seen in pics).

Now I'm wondering if they could have ovalized or harmed the frame by that messy installation. The bearings turn smooth, the fork does not wobble and sits square, and everything seems okay now that I have done the little filing/sanding. I obviously would'nt have had to do this in the first place, but I didn't want to drive back and show them. I have ridden around 70-80km so far with the frame and I don't hear any creaking/squeaking/rattling from the bike. Everything is tight and smooth.

Am I worrying for nothing ? I was about to buy another front triangle just in case they have ovalized it, but the headtubes are pretty stout so I doubt this would be necessary.

Could riding the bike with that messy headset end up damaging the headtube ?

The closest shop that has the 1.5" installation tools is an hour and a half away, and I'd have to make 2 trips to leave and pick-up the frame for them to check it. I am never going back to the first shop and don't want to deal with them at all. The least they could do is send me a new headset but I don't even want to talk with these a$$holes.

I'm just a little stressed out since it's a new bike. Thanks for any opinions...

Note: I have also measured the outside of the cups (outermost part) with a micrometer and they are the exact same dimensions down to 0,001".
The last picture shows where I have a little gap difference (between the top of the upper cup and the part that sandwiches it tight.) Is it any bad ?

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's probably the best thing to do indeed.

Would multiple headsets installations/uninstallations extend the headtube hole ? This one (FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5) has deep cups too so I'd better buy another one exactly like that I guess.

I have never had to change any headset before (3-4 seasons/bike) so I guess changing it once wouldn't matter much.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Thanks, that's probably the best thing to do indeed.

Would multiple headsets installations/uninstallations extend the headtube hole ? This one (FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5) has deep cups too so I'd better buy another one exactly like that I guess.

I have never had to change any headset before (3-4 seasons/bike) so I guess changing it once wouldn't matter much.
No, in fact, the angleset requires that you knock the cup out each time you want to change the angle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts