Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get a King headset bought and installed on my Yeti 575. I have several choices of shops to go with. Who would you choose?

1. The shop I bought the bike from. Charges $25 for install. Must order myself because of some corporate politics. Plan to order from speedgoat or performance for 129.00. Tried a reverse bleed on my brakes, messy experience(watched him do it) and didn't work. Decided to buy a Hayes kit and do it myself.

2. The closest shop to me, 25 to install. They recommended to get it at the cheapest place possible and let them install it. Guys are young that work on the bikes, teens to early 20s. One young gentlemen didn't know what a UST valve was. Had my shifters installed by one of the young guys there. No problems.

3. Good shop. Sells high end bikes like SC. 140 for the headset and another 40 to put it in Facing extra. Price seems steep. No work done on my bikes.

4. Older shop in my area. 130 in stock in my color choice. 40 to install and another 20 to face. One location that didn't have it in stock told me I wouldn't have to worry about facing nowawadays. Lube it up and press it in. The other location told me it was dependent on the bike and how it was made. No work done on my bikes.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
The shop you bought it from.

If you are uncomfortable dyi, take it to the shop you bought the bike from. If they geek it, at least they are the ones who will be dealing with it anyways.

Is the frame stripped? If so, do a walk in when it is slow, and ask to watch.

·
Wolf nipple chips
504 Posts
i'd go with the place you bought the bike from. Installing a headset is not all that difficult, and anyone who works there (aside from the guy who only works once a month, and never as a mechanic) should be able to do it without much trouble. $140 retail for a king headset is very reasonable, and $25 to install a part that wasn't purchased from them is also reasonable.

CF

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
Choice #5 if you feel capable: buy the HS from whomever then install it yourself by making your own press. Go to Home Despot and buy the biggest bolt and nut they have, plus the biggest donut-sized washers they have. I also needed two smaller washers so the nut/bolt wouldn't pull through the bigger washers. Press one cup at a time slowly and meticulously.

I'd personally just use the Cane Crick if it's performance you're after (since they both do the same job just fine). If you want bling then I totally understand.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi,

I just had my Chris King headset installed yesterday from my local bike shop. I decided to go with them since I bought my frame through them.

They gave me a great deal. Cost me $35 Cdn for them to face my new frame, install the headset, cut the steerer tube on my new fork and install it along with the stem.

The procedure looked simple enough but I wouldn't try it myself unless I had access to that headset press.

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
konaken said:
Hi,

I just had my Chris King headset installed yesterday from my local bike shop. I decided to go with them since I bought my frame through them.

They gave me a great deal. Cost me $35 Cdn for them to face my new frame, install the headset, cut the steerer tube on my new fork and install it along with the stem.

The procedure looked simple enough but I wouldn't try it myself unless I had access to that headset press.
Yeah, the professional press is very nice. I've always toyed with the idea of buying one, but at over $100US I have never been able to justify the purchase considering how infrequently I'd use it. Last year when I was selling off all my 26" frames and forks though, I swapped headsets multiple times so I could run different forks with the remaining frames. I was glad I had my homemade press then because it would've cost me a lot of time and money to have a shop do it. After you've pressed in several headsets it's no longer mysterious or difficult.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Nat said:
Yeah, the professional press is very nice. I've always toyed with the idea of buying one, but at over $100US I have never been able to justify the purchase considering how infrequently I'd use it. Last year when I was selling off all my 26" frames and forks though, I swapped headsets multiple times so I could run different forks with the remaining frames. I was glad I had my homemade press then because it would've cost me a lot of time and money to have a shop do it. After you've pressed in several headsets it's no longer mysterious or difficult.
My tool kit has a 2x4 and a hammer. It's a simple task, you'd have to try to mess it up in order to fail.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Nat said:
Choice #5 if you feel capable: buy the HS from whomever then install it yourself by making your own press. Go to Home Despot and buy the biggest bolt and nut they have, plus the biggest donut-sized washers they have. I also needed two smaller washers so the nut/bolt wouldn't pull through the bigger washers. Press one cup at a time slowly and meticulously.

I'd personally just use the Cane Crick if it's performance you're after (since they both do the same job just fine). If you want bling then I totally understand.
I did this exact thing and it worked really well. Just take your time and it works.

mtnbikej

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,762 Posts
pacman said:
My tool kit has a 2x4 and a hammer. It's a simple task, you'd have to try to mess it up in order to fail.
Wait untill you try to install one in a HT that requires facing.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Just use the Cane Creek. $160+ for no improvement in ride, comfort or performance is just not worth it?
For $160 you could get:
nice shoes and pedals
seatpost and handlebar
stem and seat
4 sets of new tires (and tubes)
shock pump, floor pump, and other tools
Park or Ultimate bike stand

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
pacman said:
And if you have a chisel, you can use that and the hammer to remove the old crown race from your fork. And bashing on the jaws of a large wrench with that hammer, works great to install the new crown race. :D

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Geez you'd think I used recycled motor oil in my shock. :rolleyes:

Jayem said:
Wait untill you try to install one in a HT that requires facing.
Not recommending that (yet). The bike in question is already faced. ;)

Bikehigh said:
And if you have a chisel, you can use that and the hammer to remove the old crown race from your fork. And bashing on the jaws of a large wrench with that hammer, works great to install the new crown race. :D
Surprise! A 2x4 and hammer work great there too. I bore a 1 1/8" hole in a 2x4 and use it to push the crown race down. Soft pine never leaves a scratch and conforms to the shape of the race.

Doing your own work is educational and fun (if you have some skills) . Would your LBS drill and tap a micro-adjuster for a singlespeed? :D

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
shine the Chris King...if you are going to change your headset...a DH Pig is 40 bucks...or look into the other lighter FSA (full speed ahead) line

·
gimme friction
1,133 Posts
Diy

I removed/installed my own headset last weekend using the exact tools detailed in Nat's post. I think we both got the info from the illustrious Speedub Nate (search for his DIY thread, it's great stuff). The copper pipe removal tool and steel bolt installation tools worked FLAWLESSLY.

The only problem I encountered was getting the crown race installed, since I did not have a pipe of the appropriate diameter to press it down. I tried to press it down by assembling the entire headset/fork/stem and tightening down the top cap bolt to pull the whole thing together, but ended up mangling the star nut. :rolleyes:

So I had to bring the fork into the LBS and have them press the crown race and install a new star nut. It cost $12, kinda pricey, but was done same-day so that I could ride by the weekend.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.