Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
aka Willy Vanilly
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just picked up a 2011 5 spot (after much mental debate about replacing my X-5). I have a Marz 44 (514mm AtoC with 1 1/8" straight steerer) I intend on running on the Spot. I also have a 1 1/8" external cup Cane Creek 110 headset.
I'm wondering what you guys think I should do for headsets. I think I'd like to use an external bottom cup (unless you all suggest otherwise) and not really sure what I should do about the top cup. Can I use my 110 up top and just pick up a new bottom cup? Please let me know as I've sort of gotten lost with all the different headset options lately (have been on a 1 1/8" straight steerer since 2004 and never bothered to keep up with all the new standards). Thanks guys

·
Registered
787 Posts
With the 2011 spot and the 44mm head tube your 1 1/8 110 will not work, top and bottom. Cane creek Zero stack for the top either 40 or 110, with the axle to crown you have you can run the external EC44 Cane Creek, in the 40 or 110 version. I have my 36 float at 21.5 in axle to crown, reduced to 150mm and the head tube angle is at 66.7 roughly. I find this works for the trails that I frequent most days. Hope this helps.

·
aka Willy Vanilly
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I needed. Thanks Kreater.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That's exactly what I needed. Thanks Kreater.
WIll, if the answer to my question turns out to be "no", then you might want this Acros headset. It's the only 44 I've found with a zero stack top and external cup lower for a straight 1-18th steer tube.

Universal Cycles -- Acros Ai-22 Stainless Semi Integrated Headset

If you go the Acros route, make sure you throw some calipers on the cups to check for tolerances before install, I bought one of their headsets for my Nomad and they pushed in by hand. :eekster: I could have just gotten a lemon. The build quality was impressive in a German engineering sort of way...I couldn't believe the diameter was off by that much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.