Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm building up an XC/All Mountain bike on a Stumpy frame. I'm currently at the 'what headset' debate stage. I've got a budget of roughly €60, which could get me either a Crank Bros Opium C or a Campy Record Threadless h/s. I dunno, tough call - one has plenty of bearings and a low overall build height/weight, the other (the Campy) has needle rollers, a carbon top cap and brand name sex appeal.

What to do?

Oh, and a Chris King (even if the new Sotto Voce is teh sex0r) blows the budget completely so don't even bother suggesting it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to have a look at the Campy headset tomorrow if they have one in the LBS in Imola, but it looks quite bulletproof - solid construction with quality materials as well as a grease valve (for pumping fresh grease in and dirt out without disasembling the whole shibang).

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
how about a hope headset. well sealed, split race, ss bearings, in your price range and uses the compression ring to grab the steerer
• Rubber sealed cartridge type, stainless steel bearings and additional 'O' ring seals in the cups to ensure years of maintenance free running.
• It's strong enough for downhill use, yet still light enough for cross-country.
• Includes Hed Doctor to replace star washer.
• Bearing Type: Sealed stainless steel cartridge type.
• Cups: 2014 aluminium
• Head size: 1 1/8"
• Weight: 90g
• Upper stack height: 17mm
• Lower stack height: 14.1mm
• Total stack height: 31.1mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.