Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I'm bulding up an Access frame currently... The cheap-o headset that came with is a Cane Creek, and other than being heavy and non-sealed, it's going to work fine until I decide to/need to replace it. I'd rather buy a seatpost and hit the trail for now...

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
Here's mine in progress (with custom Specialized stickers), just posted in the 'pics of your 29er' thread:

If you search for 'performance access' there are a couple threads with quite a few pictures. There's one in the 'snowy 29er rides' thread too... I did tons of homework before I ordered mine.

I'm happy with the quality of the frame/welds, and can't wait to get a fork so I can get the thing together! I would prefer a traditional headset, but including a functional one with the frame is a nice touch in my opinion. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not sealed bearing.

Edit: My frame is a 21"...in the smaller sizes, the top tube makes a more direct line towards the rear axle (on the 17" it's almost a straight line), and in the 23 (which is GIANT) the head tube is longer and there's a bigger gap between the top tube and the down tube. In the 17 and 19" sizes, the top tube and down meet at the headtube, and have a beefier weld area where they are connected. The frame gets significantly taller as you move up through the sizes, and some people complain about standover clearance with the bigger sizes. I'm 6"2 and the 21 seems like it's going to be perfect. I ordered a 23 at first and returned it after I laughed about how huge it was.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CommuterBoy said:
Here's mine in progress (with custom Specialized stickers), just posted in the 'pics of your 29er' thread:

If you search for 'performance access' there are a couple threads with quite a few pictures. There's one in the 'snowy 29er rides' thread too... I did tons of homework before I ordered mine.

I'm happy with the quality of the frame/welds, and can't wait to get a fork so I can get the thing together! I would prefer a traditional headset, but including a functional one with the frame is a nice touch in my opinion. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not sealed bearing.

Edit: My frame is a 21"...in the smaller sizes, the top tube makes a more direct line towards the rear axle (on the 17" it's almost a straight line), and in the 23 (which is GIANT) the head tube is longer and there's a bigger gap between the top tube and the down tube. In the 17 and 19" sizes, the top tube and down meet at the headtube, and have a beefier weld area where they are connected. The frame gets significantly taller as you move up through the sizes, and some people complain about standover clearance with the bigger sizes. I'm 6"2 and the 21 seems like it's going to be perfect. I ordered a 23 at first and returned it after I laughed about how huge it was.
Yeah, standover scares me. I'm looking at the 23" because I'm 6'4 with a 36" inseam. They don't likst the standover so I have no idea what to expect.
I like the TT length, but now I'm looking at the HT length being 6" ...Holy crap!
Maybe I need a sette Razzo instead

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
My true (floor to bone) inseam is 36". I wear a 34 in a normal pair of jeans. Other posts and measurements put the standover of the 21" in the 30" range. I'd consider the 21, even at your height. The 23" is pretty tall, and you don't gain that much top tube length.

There is a breakdown list of frame dimentions in one of the access threads...

With the Razzo, you might gain an inch of standover...but you're going to pay almost an extra $200 for it.... not worth it in my opinion. I'd make due with the 21" access and a longer stem. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
132 Posts
unless the standover is less on the 21" than the 19" there is no way it is a 30" standover. Someone posted that the standover was about 30" on a 19, but mine is closer to 32" standver in a size 19. Measured at center of top tube.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CommuterBoy said:
My true (floor to bone) inseam is 36". I wear a 34 in a normal pair of jeans. Other posts and measurements put the standover of the 21" in the 30" range. I'd consider the 21, even at your height. The 23" is pretty tall, and you don't gain that much top tube length.

There is a breakdown list of frame dimentions in one of the access threads...

With the Razzo, you might gain an inch of standover...but you're going to pay almost an extra $200 for it.... not worth it in my opinion. I'd make due with the 21" access and a longer stem. Just my two cents.
Thanks for the info. I think I'd prefer the 23" due to the 25.5" TT length. The 21" is just below 25" (according to the chart).
I assume the 23" would have a stand over around 34" which I think I could live with, but I wouldn't want to go any higher than 34"

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
On standover, I'm obviously not able to measure mine yet... just going by other people's claims. I'll post up when I get a fork on mine and can get an actual measurement...I'm pretty curious now. People probably measure them right at the seat post, to get the lowest number. Center of the tube is the most accurate...

I can say that on the 17 and 19" frames, the top tube is at a much steeper angle as it slopes towards the rear. On the 21 and 23", it's closer to parallel with the floor.

Edit: There is a dude in this thread (jeffj) with a 23"...maybe he'll measure it for you: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=529512

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CommuterBoy said:
On standover, I'm obviously not able to measure mine yet... just going by other people's claims. I'll post up when I get a fork on mine and can get an actual measurement...I'm pretty curious now. People probably measure them right at the seat post, to get the lowest number. Center of the tube is the most accurate...

I can say that on the 17 and 19" frames, the top tube is at a much steeper angle as it slopes towards the rear. On the 21 and 23", it's closer to parallel with the floor.

Edit: There is a dude in this thread (jeffj) with a 23"...maybe he'll measure it for you: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=529512
I just e-mailed him, thanks for the tip

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Dude here ;)

I just measured mine and at about 12 inches forward from the center of the seat tube, the standover is right at about 35"+/-. It's about 32.5" right where the TT comes away from the seat tube and about 37.8" where the TT meets the HT.

I'm 6'5" and of average proportions (certainly not long legged anyway) and I feel the presence of the top tube when standing over it, but it's not bothersome at all to me.

Hope that helps. Dude out.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeffj said:
Dude here ;)

I just measured mine and at about 12 inches forward from the center of the seat tube, the standover is right at about 35"+/-. It's about 32.5" right where the TT comes away from the seat tube and about 37.8" where the TT meets the HT.

I'm 6'5" and of average proportions (certainly not long legged anyway) and I feel the presence of the top tube when standing over it, but it's not bothersome at all to me.

Hope that helps. Dude out.
Thanks for the #'s
Wow...35" is is alot bigger than I was hoping...
May have to rethink here....:madman:

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
toddre said:
Thanks for the #'s
Wow...35" is is alot bigger than I was hoping...
May have to rethink here....:madman:
You'll just have to weld up your own custom jobber! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MMcG said:
You'll just have to weld up your own custom jobber! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I think you're right. And maybe put #1 back into service after some repair

1 - 19 of 19 Posts