Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered this by accident over Christmas, although I'm sure plenty of smart people have worked it out for themselves already.

Next time you need to press in some headset cups, try putting them in the fridge for an hour or two (or your unheated shed if it's winter), and leave the frame in a warm part of your house. The cups with contract a bit, the frame will expand a bit, and hey presto your cups will press in without a second though.

You'll need to put your forks in the fridge to get the crown race on though.

·
turtles make me hot
11,664 Posts
My wife came in once and caught me heating up a pitmann arm on the stove so it would slip on my truck better. I was monitoring the temp with an infra red thermometer, which is also a big no no in her mind. She swears that red dot causes cancer. I told her to relax. It was a brand new, clean part.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Ah yes, the kitchen. :)

Fortunately I'm a bachelor, so no restrictions on how I use my kitchen. I can tell you the last time my oven was used, it was for heat molding my snowboard hardboot liners.

For press fits, the freezer works better. Or, if you need it in a hurry, take ice, add water, add salt, and then drop the piece in for about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Ah yes, the kitchen. :)

Fortunately I'm a bachelor, so no restrictions on how I use my kitchen. I can tell you the last time my oven was used, it was for heat molding my snowboard hardboot liners.

For press fits, the freezer works better. Or, if you need it in a hurry, take ice, add water, add salt, and then drop the piece in for about 5 minutes.
Not for my parts please.
In a plastic baggie maybe but probably not.
I don't want any salt in my build from a corresion standpoint.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Why all the fuss with heating/cooling, not necessary if you simply press them in evenly...whether using a dedicated press, a diy press or even a block of wood and a hammer...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
i did that cooling the fork, and boiling the race...it almost worked, but the race got stuck halfway there, now i cant take the race off either, lol. i gotta go to the hardware store and get some pipe so i could just bang it in, should i use a metal or pvc pipe? and what about the star nut whats the best non special tool way to do that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.