Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw these things on universalcycles.com. The descriptions seemed to imply that they're meant for carbon steerers, but can they be used for metal as well? Any advantage/disadvantage compared to a Azonic-type headlock or regular star nut?

·
Don't touch me!
872 Posts
If you mean a compression plug, then they'll work with all type steerers.

The advantages are: No need to hammer it in like a star nut; lighter than the headlock; easily removable for the crazy weight weenies; able to be "hot swappable"... not that there are headset tightening parties, but if there was, it could do it... as long as everyone isn't running star nuts and no one remembered to bring their compression plugs. :lol:

The only disadvantage I've encountered is that installation (of some) can be a pain (the good ones have a regular style top cap and an aluminum retainer that keeps everything from falling too far into the steerer). The headlock seems to be the most secure connection, altough for XC I think it's overkill.

And what are my thoughts on compression rings? I'll never use another star nut again. :D

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,452 Posts
I have a Token headset compression plug and matching topcap on one of my bikes.
I've also used FSA's Conix setup in the past.

I much prefer these to those star fangled nuts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.