Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting a new headset for my 2006 Enduro. The bike is built up a little on the heavy side and I take it to bike parks and shuttle runs several times a year. Other than that, it is used for pretty tough trail riding week-to-week. Should I be looking into something like a Diabolus, Tank, or pig (little more rugged), or will something like the Cane Creek S3 hold up to my abuse? I like doing small-medium stunts, but nothing too crazy. I am just wondering if the heavier headsets are overkill for me... or a good insurance policy?

Budget is pretty tight, so please don't recommend Cane Creek 110 or Chris King, etc...

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have have a pig dh pro for like 3 years that I got on a bike I bought used and pressed into 5 different bikes. not different bikes but back and forth between a couple frames a bunch of times.

it feels much better than my much newer cane creek double X. I just rebuilt a bike w. it yesterday and was thinking how badass that headset is.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
the pig dh pro will outlive anyone alive at this time. overkill for yer needs? perhaps. heavy? to be sure. dependable and affordable? without question.

ive had a fsa orbit extreme pro on my fr/trail bike for 3 years now w/ zero issues, even after some dh time. much lighter but about twice the cash of the pig.

i dont think the s-3 will last too long as you progress and will cost more than the pig.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spxoo said:
I have have a pig dh pro for like 3 years that I got on a bike I bought used and pressed into 5 different bikes. not different bikes but back and forth between a couple frames a bunch of times.

it feels much better than my much newer cane creek double X. I just rebuilt a bike w. it yesterday and was thinking how badass that headset is.
Any major differences between loose balls vs. cartridge? The pig is loose balls, correct?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm curious if anyone can share the failure mechanism for headsets. I always hear talk about them not lasting through DH/FR abuse. My only experience with headset failure had nothing to do with riding abuse, but with corrosion from water getting at the bearings. Please enlighten me!

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Well, we're seeing those new Crank headsets going through the cups or cracking them because the cup is actually the outer race. Give Crank any design and they'll figure out a new failure mode.

I had some old CC headset that wouldn't stay tight. Far from a failure, however.

Kings generally last, but I recommend owners, even fanboys, check the lip in that top bearing cap. It wears over time. Check the steer tube as well.

I don't remember the brand, but I remember a guy doing a jump hit the entrance hard, and the headset kind of blew up, sending loose balls all over. I figure the cages/races collapsed and a host of other things in a chain reaction followed.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cactuscorn said:
not so much. look here.
OK, I was looking at the regular pig, not the DH pro model. Thanks

"angular contact bearing (upper), industrial bearing (lower)" what does that mean?

Is it pretty well sealed? Stay clean? Any problems with the aluminum upper cup (I guess the lower cup takes most of the forces, though, the top just holds the thing together)?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
Well, we're seeing those new Crank headsets going through the cups or cracking them because the cup is actually the outer race. Give Crank any design and they'll figure out a new failure mode.

I had some old CC headset that wouldn't stay tight. Far from a failure, however.

Kings generally last, but I recommend owners, even fanboys, check the lip in that top bearing cap. It wears over time. Check the steer tube as well.

I don't remember the brand, but I remember a guy doing a jump hit the entrance hard, and the headset kind of blew up, sending loose balls all over. I figure the cages/races collapsed and a host of other things in a chain reaction followed.
Interesting day for me with regards to this: I was asking my question with the preconceived thought that the only reason people are asking for a DH worthy headset is they are too "gnar gnar" in their own minds for a normal headset.

Shortly after posting I headed for the 7 springs DH resort with my newish Spec. Pitch that i recently swapped a CC S3 headset from an out of service XC hardtail onto. Every few runs I noticed it a creak in the headset area. Investigation showed it was coming lose every 4 or so runs. Long story short, my thoughts towards this question has changed and I'm looking for a new headset!

·
Registered
220 Posts
While we are on the topic of headsets, I thought I might ask you guys a question. Im hoping to upgrade the fork on my 07 Stinky to a Boxxer Team before too long and I was wondering if you guys think I should give this FSA DH Pig Pro a try or go with something else? I mean, Ill have it apart and it just seams like a good time to install a new headset as well so what are your thoughts? thanks

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I have been rocking S3s for quite some time now. I have them on 2 bikes, one is an XC bike and haven't had problems. The other is my Coiler with 160mm Domain 318. I have hit 5-7 foot drops, countless dirt jumps, and several downhill shuttle and lift assisted runs over the years. It's as smooth as the day I put it in. I just couldn't justify spending 100 bucks for something more bling when I've had great luck out of all the Cane Creek headsets and products I've bought.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
it means the fockin thing will outlive a cockroach.

no problems, hence why everyone reccomends it.

any more questions or shall we get to 100 posts before ya believe the list of people who say to get the pig dh pro? theres gotta be a "which fork for my (insert frame here) post thats bein overlooked while we rehash this yet again.

sorry, i have my beer on.

·
5,933 Posts
When did I say I didn't believe the Pig was a good headset? I'm sure it's great, and it should be for the money. But it seems like a little overkill on an Enduro to me, he said he's doing small/medium stunts not massive road gaps, huge dirt jumps, etc, where a bombproof headset is more important. I imagine his head tube would rip off before an S3 (or any decent quality headset) would fail.

·
5,933 Posts
one piece crank said:
Hmmm. When is a bombproof headset not important?

Tom P.
I think the more important question is.. how many headsets have you seen fail? I'm not talking about water or dirt getting into the seals, but crashes and big hits mostly. I think from the strength standpoint headsets are stronger and tougher than your frame, fork, wheel, and you. The difference seems pretty overstated to me. Every broken head tube or frame I have seen involved the frame or fork failing before the headset did. If price is no issue, run whatever you want. I guess I just don't buy all the marketing hype that makes it seem like your fork is going to fall off while you're in the air or something if you don't buy the latest Chris Bling or whatever.

·
Registered
220 Posts
cactuscorn said:
it means the fockin thing will outlive a cockroach.

no problems, hence why everyone reccomends it.

any more questions or shall we get to 100 posts before ya believe the list of people who say to get the pig dh pro? theres gotta be a "which fork for my (insert frame here) post thats bein overlooked while we rehash this yet again.

sorry, i have my beer on.
sounds to me like you have a cactus up your ass! I dont know who you are referring to, but I didnt ask anything about the meaning or which fork or frame goes with what the best. I simply asked if I should try the pig dh pro or should I look to a different one when I replace my current fork with the one I have mentioned. And, at least I didnt start another focking post about it.... Reason I asked is cause so many people around my area swear by King's

1 - 20 of 29 Posts